Miss Zukas and the Stroke of Death by Jo…

Miss Zukas and the Stroke of Death (1996)

by Jo Dereske

241972,094 (3.69)8

I have read most of the books in this 12-book series, but somehow missed this one until now. So glad I found it because I enjoyed reconnecting with the endearing librarian Miss Helma Zukas and her flamboyant friend Ruth. Helma solves another murder mystery, this one while canoeing in a relay race for the Bellehaven Library. ( )
  PhyllisReads | Apr 27, 2019 |
Awesome twist! ( )
  Half-elf28 | Jun 1, 2016 |
Eh, I liked this one well enough, but not over the top. I was surprised by the ending. ( )
  dukefan86 | May 29, 2013 |
Nice tight mystery, fun characters, very enjoyable read. ( )
  grundlecat | Oct 27, 2011 |
Straight-laced librarian Miss Zukas is a bit of a dark horse. In addition to being a prim and proper librarian, she has a history as a canoeist. But her efforts to train for the big race and help the library's team beat the city planning department are interrupted. A dead man is found outside Miss Zukas's friend's house, and said friend Ruth becomes the prime suspect in the subsequent investigation. In her efforts to clear Ruth Miss Zukas finds herself in danger.

This is by all accounts an entertaining, quick read. Miss Zukas is starting to look a bit more human by this third book in the series. It's still not clear to me why all men in the general vicinity seem to have a crush on Helma Zukas- perhaps it's the stuffy/sexy librarian trope? Still, I suspect I'll be reading more in the series. These are fun books. ( )
  lahochstetler | Aug 3, 2011 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0380770334, Mass Market Paperback)

Civic-minded librarian Miss Helma Zukas has reluctantly agreed to use her long-dormant skills as a canoeist to paddle down Washington Bay on behalf of the Bellehaven Library relay race team. But before Helma has a chance to test her aquatic talents, she is once again matching wits with the local police over the identity of a killer. And this time it involves keeping her somewhat flaky artist friend, Ruth Winthrop, off Death Row.

When the flamboyant Ruth rejected the attention of a dirty old man in a local bar, she never thought it would be to put him off permanently. But when his body shows up just outside her studio, the police consider her a prime suspect. Helma knows for sure that Ruth is no killer, but she didn't suspect that asking too many questions about the life of the unsavory dead man would unearth some long-buried scandals...and cause someone to want to close the book on one inquisitive librarian.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:14 -0400)

When a body shows up just outside Ruth's studio, the police consider Ruth a prime suspect. Helma unearths several local scandals surrounding the victim and finds the real killer.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,645,649 books! | Top bar: Always visible