The Emerald City of Oz

by L. Frank Baum

Series: Oz : Baum (6), Oz : Famous Forty (book 6), Oz (6)

Dorothy's aunt and uncle get acquainted with Oz after they lose their farm and Ozma invites them to live with her.
    The Sea Fairies by L. Frank Baum (HollyMS)
    HollyMS: After writing The Emerald City of Oz, L. Frank Baum decided it would be the last of the Oz series so he began another series, beginning with The Sea Fairies. Read The Sea Fairies and Sky Island before heading on to The Patchwork Girl of Oz.
    Sky Island by L. Frank Baum (HollyMS)

The Emerald City of Oz was...interesting. The first depression of the 20th century hits Kansas hard and Uncle Henry is about to lose his farm.

Easy solution, move the whole family to Oz to live forever. Princess Ozma gives Princess Dorthy and her people on a tour of Oz. Meeting a whole new set of people including the paper-doll snip-n-clips and the fast talking wizzywigs.

But the fun doesn't last because the Gnmoe king decides he needs to dig a tunnel into the Emerald City to blast the place and gets the help of all the other evil beings of the land to help him out. ( )
  fulner | Jun 23, 2020 |
The Oz books were among my childhood bookish obsessions. Such a magical, exciting universe. ( )
  Tara_Calaby | Jun 22, 2020 |
I thought Baum did a disservice to Dorothy by changing her speech to that of an uneducated child. I have only read this one (the last) and the first of the OZ books, so I don't know when he changed her. The puns were wonderful, and certainly put there for the adult reader. ( )
  LindaLeeJacobs | Feb 15, 2020 |
Although this story has somewhat of a plot, involving the Nome King, it is only a book-end for Dorothy's travelogue and the introduction of more strange inhabitants of Oz.
Ozma is almost a caricature of a pacifist, being willing to let her subjects be killed or enslaved rather than fighting, but when you are the magic ruler of a magic kingdom, you can get around the problems that attitude usually entails.
Baum avers at the end that this is his final Oz tale, really truly; however, he continued through volume 14.
https://oz.fandom.com/wiki/List_of_Oz_books ( )
  librisissimo | Dec 30, 2019 |
I want Ozma to fail. For completely different reasons, of course, than the Nomes, the Whimsies, the Growleywogs, and the Phanfasms, but the end result is about the same.

The Oz books start to get better with 'The Emerald City', but my crabby grown-uptitude about continuity and plot and something meaty beneath the flash and sparkle of fairyland gets the better of me each time I read this. Because, of course, even the first Oz book was episodic in nature, every chapter leading to a new land of bizarre creations, but we had Dorothy's desire to help her friends and go home leading us through it all. They weren't just visitations, these were obstacles. The concept of struggle by the protagonist seems to have escaped Baum in his last decades of writing.

On a positive note, Baum finally ends the strain of Auntie Em's heart by allowing Dorothy to have her Aunt and Uncle come to Oz to stay, permanently. The structure of the book goes between Dorothy's touring of Oz with her amazed Aunt and Uncle and a dark plot by the Nome King's general, Guph, to enslave the kingdom by enlisting darker and darker allies.

Of course Ozma is aware of all of this, but she doesn't care. Granted, I wouldn't either if I had a magical wishing belt that did everything I asked it to, but she didn't even use that, or reassure her supposed friends of its existence. Instead she plays dumb and allows another dull magic trick to save the day.

But, the long night of Oz is almost over, because the next few books, despite my continued complaints, are better and better.

Oz

Next: 'The Patchwork Girl of Oz'

Previous 'The Road to Oz' ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 18, 2019 |

APPRECIATION HAS ENCOURAGED
ME TO WRITE THE OZ BOOKS
THIS VOLUME IS AFFECTIONATELY
DEDICATED.
The Nome King was in an angry mood, and at such times he was very disagreeable.

Urban Romantics

2 editions of this book were published by Urban Romantics.

Editions: 1909438286, 1909438251

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,759,251 books! | Top bar: Always visible