Artificial Condition

by Martha Wells

Series: The Murderbot Diaries (2)

It has a dark past - one in which a number of humans were killed. A past that caused it to christen itself Murderbot. But it has only vague memories of the massacre that spawned that title, and it wants to know more. Teaming up with a research transport vessal named ART (you don't want to know what the A stands for), Murderbot heads to the mining facility where it went rogue. What it discovers will forever change the way it thinks.… (more)

English (136)  French (1)  German (1)  All languages (138)
I have a love/hate relationship with novellas in general. Too often, I find them to be criminally short (I’m looking at you Binti!) but it’s also deeply satisfying to finish them in one sitting.

After a long break, I wanted to continue the Murderbot series about a sardonic, sentient combat robot who hacks its own module to free itself from programming. What does it say about me when I have so much in common with a social anxiety-ridden murderbot? This time, Murderbot forms an unlikely bond with a transit ship AI program and together, they work to uncover Murderbot’s mysterious past.

Funny and unencumbered by sci-fi mumbo-jumbo, this series is really hitting the spot for me. And, I’m trilled to learn that soon Murderbot is getting its own, bonafide, full-length novel. Finally. ( )
  MC_Rolon | Jun 15, 2022 |
Murderbot has gone AWOL. Despite its contract being voided and it having been offered a life out from under others' control, it feels it has unfinished business — namely, a necessary investigation into one of its past missions of which its memories have been deleted. The one where it went rogue and killed a bunch of people.

Upon finishing All Systems Red I wasn't certain whether I would continue the series, but I decided to give this second installment a try. (Incidentally, "installment" feels especially appropriate as these novellas remind me of the way books were once serialized and printed piecemeal in newspapers in earlier times.) I like the expectation and subsequent fulfillment of being able to finish them in less than a day. ( )
  ryner | May 21, 2022 |
I do not have enough superlatives for this book. It deserves them all. Murderbot still awesome, ART is awesome, and once again, it's both satisfying as a complete story-line for this plot, and an exciting continuation of the overall arc. :) ( )
  Malaraa | Apr 26, 2022 |
How did I fail to review this? It was splendid, and it made me want to continue reading Murderbot's adventures. Love the ambivalence with which it contemplates the human race. ( )
  jennybeast | Apr 14, 2022 |
I am really enjoying these. You get the feeling they are going to settle into a formula, but it's a good formula - Murderbot tries to do something they want to do, meets another interesting bot on the way, picks up a group of humans, saves the humans.

In this one, they want to understand about the time they massacred people, they meet the snarky super-research ship ART, and they save some hapless researchers trying to get their data back from the Evil Corporation. ( )
  atreic | Apr 3, 2022 |
There’s plenty here to entertain the many fans of the first novella.
added by rretzler | editPublishers Weekly (pay site) (Jun 11, 2018)

Martha Wellsprimary authorall editionscalculated
Böhmert, FrankTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Foltzer, ChristineCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Jones, JaimeCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Montier, MathildeTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
SecUnits don't care about the news.
(Armour doesn’t have pockets, so score one for ordinary human clothing.)

Martha Wells is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 171,638,659 books! | Top bar: Always visible