Radical Acceptance: Embracing Your Life With…

Radical Acceptance: Embracing Your Life With the Heart of a Buddha

by Tara Brach

my therapist keeps telling me to read this book
  andrearules | May 13, 2013 |
For a (previously) very staunchly "anti self-help-book person," I believe this is the most helpful book I have ever read re: self. I reached for this mostly for futher Buddhism study, but also to get through a rough patch in life. And wow, did it help. It is rather amazing the things I uncovered about how human beings act based on usually pretty simple needs (fears, attachments, desires, etc.) gone awry - when all along, the peace and solace lie within. I guess I always knew that, but somehow this book made me understand the dynamic a whole lot more. Brach is a wonderful author who works hard to get us all to love ourselves again, and in turn, make the world a better place (helping yourself ultimately helps the love we are able to give others - or really, they work in tandem). I will definitely check out other works by her and will recommend this one highly, to many, many people ... in my journey through life. ( )
  CarolynSchroeder | Mar 31, 2012 |
Radical Acceptance
Awakening the Love That Heals Fear
and Shame WIthin Us
by Tara Brach

This 333 page how-to is a real must for those struggling with fear and shame. I have totally enjoyed the wonderful awareness that has stayed with me since reading this book. I was kinda nervous at first to even look deeply at this subject, and I just knew that if there was any judgement I was gonna die, but to my pleasant surprise there was love, compassion and many helpful meditations and suggestions that helped me to pinpoint and understand my discomfort and transcend it.

I also enjoyed the stories and quotes throughout this spirit based book that targeted the other reason I was scared to look at this pain inside me. I was scared that I was the only one, that no one had ever gone through this stuff, and I was so grateful for the honesty and straightforward examples that I could relate with and realize I wasn't alone, my relief was instant. I would recommend this precious book to anyone who is struggling with shame and fear and who wants to move on to a happier and brighter tomorrow. Thanks Tara, I sorely needed this.

Love & Light,

Riki Frahmann ( )
  biunicorn | Mar 19, 2012 |
Useful, moving reflections on the intersection between Buddhism and psychotherapy, with an emphasis on accepting oneself as one is, rather than indulging in the "trance of shame." Brach writes warmly and compassionately of her own inner struggles and those of her clients. ( )
  melmore | Oct 26, 2011 |
Excellent book for addressing the way that you handle your fears, desires, and all other emotional responses. All from a Buddhist perspective. Contains suggested meditation exercises at the end of each chapter. I have not tried all of those yet. I have come across many of them in other readings before. But, this book puts it all together in a way that is easy to read, understand and apply. ( )
  BillPilgrim | Sep 1, 2009 |

For many of us, feelings of deficiency are right around the corner. It doesn’t take much--just hearing of someone else’s accomplishments, being criticized, getting into an argument, making a mistake at work--to make us feel that we are not okay. Beginning to understand how our lives have become ensnared in this trance of unworthiness is our first step toward reconnecting with who we really are and what it means to live fully.
--from Radical Acceptance

Radical Acceptance

“Believing that something is wrong with us is a deep and tenacious suffering,” says Tara Brach at the start of this illuminating book. This suffering emerges in crippling self-judgments and conflicts in our relationships, in addictions and perfectionism, in loneliness and overwork--all the forces that keep our lives constricted and unfulfilled. Radical Acceptance offers a path to freedom, including the day-to-day practical guidance developed over Dr. Brach’s twenty years of work with therapy clients and Buddhist students.

Writing with great warmth and clarity, Tara Brach brings her teachings alive through personal stories and case histories, fresh interpretations of Buddhist tales, and guided meditations. Step by step, she leads us to trust our innate goodness, showing how we can develop the balance of clear-sightedness and compassion that is the essence of Radical Acceptance. Radical Acceptance does not mean self-indulgence or passivity. Instead it empowers genuine change: healing fear and shame and helping to build loving, authentic relationships. When we stop being at war with ourselves, we are free to live fully every precious moment of our lives.

From the Hardcover edition.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:20:53 -0400)

Combining the principles of psychotherapy with the teachings of Buddhism, this guide explains how to eliminate the personal conflicts and feelings of not being good enough that can cause such problems as addiction, overwork, and perfectionism.

Tantor Media

An edition of this book was published by Tantor Media.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,817,698 books! | Top bar: Always visible