The Cabin at the End of the World by Paul…

The Cabin at the End of the World

by Paul Tremblay

I can't finish this. It is way too violent and disturbing for me, for no discernible reason. I thought about finishing to try to find out the reason, but it's too brutal. I love a scary book, but not a gory one. ( )
  xiaomarlo | Apr 17, 2019 |
Four strangers torment a family on vacation, saying they need their help to stop the end of the world. ( )
  jrthebutler | Apr 9, 2019 |
A quick read, but not well written. ( )
  sberson | Mar 9, 2019 |
Eric and Andrew have taken their daughter Wen to a remote cabin in the woods to, what else, get away from it all. It is in a beautiful, remote spot on a lake. Wen has just turned seven and is enthralled with the world around her and her perspective informs the reader that she is old hat at the adopted with two dads business and completely precious.

Wen is outside when she is approached by a strange man. He's huge, friendly, and Leonard befriends her quickly despite her knowing better. He tells Wen that her daddies are going to have to let him and his friends in, that nothing is going to be her fault, and that her daddies have to help them save the world.

I was captivated by this, make no mistake. But there were elements of this that, while important to the plot, I couldn't accept as a reader. In many ways it was too unrelenting, too dark. An apocalypse novel shouldn't be light, but there was too much left unsaid by the last page for me to get over what had happened and call it fair. ( )
  ManWithAnAgenda | Feb 20, 2019 |
Ugh, I absolutely did not like this book! Too much gore and violence. Eric, Andrew, and their 7-year old daughter, Wen, are on vacation at a secluded New England cabin. Wen is outside catching grasshoppers when a strange man approaches her, and promises that he will not hurt her. Then, three more people come and force their way into the cabin.
They claim to the family that the apocalypse is near unless the family sacrifices one of their own. They refuse, and the killings start.
It takes a tragic turn, which is heartbreaking, but the ending provides a small bit of hope.
I read this book on the recommendation of a book list for new novels, but it was not my cup of tea!

#TheCabinAtTheEndOfTheWorld #PaulTremblay ( )
  rmarcin | Jan 22, 2019 |
Then back in the ground / We look at our hands / And wonder aloud / Could anyone choose to die / In the end everybody wins / In the end everybody wins --Future of the Left, "The Hope That House Built"

Meanwhile, planes drop from the sky / People disappear and bullets fly... Wouldn't be surprised if they have their way / (Tastes just like chicken they say.) --Clutch, "Animal Farm"

...because when the blanket of death came for us we kicked it off and were left naked and shivering in the world. --Nadia Bulkin, "Seven Minutes in Heaven," She Said Destory
for Lisa, Cole, Emma, and for us
The girl with the dark hair walks down the wooden front stairs and lowers herself into the yellowing lagoon of ankle-high grass.

Seven-year-old Wen and her parents, Eric and Andrew, are vacationing at a remote cabin on a quiet New Hampshire lake. Their closest neighbors are more than two miles in either direction along a rutted dirt road. One afternoon, as Wen catches grasshoppers in the front yard, a stranger unexpectedly appears in the driveway. Leonard is the largest man Wen has ever seen but he is young, friendly, and he wins her over almost instantly. Leonard and Wen talk and play until Leonard abruptly apologizes and tells Wen, "None of whats going to happen is your fault". Three more strangers then arrive at the cabin carrying unidentifiable, menacing objects. As Wen sprints inside to warn her parents, Leonard calls out: "Your dads wont want to let us in, Wen. But they have to. We need your help to save the world." Thus begins an unbearably tense, gripping tale of paranoia, sacrifice, apocalypse, and survival that escalates to a shattering conclusion, one in which the fate of a loving family and quite possibly all of humanity are entwined.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,148,191 books! | Top bar: Always visible