The Cabin at the End of the World by Paul…

The Cabin at the End of the World

by Paul Tremblay

1951686,564 (3.5)14

My gut tells me the ending will polarize readers -- a love it or hate it type situation. If you're the reader who requires the mystery revealed by story's end, you'll probably throw the book when you reach page 270. The mystery here being, well, that's kinda spoilery is the apocalypse really happening? or are the "4 horsemen" simply delusional cultists. Thankfully, the home invaders reveal their motives right away.

No, the biggest disappointment for me was the story as a whole. tTe premise and its potential kept me turning the pages, but I wasn't really invested in Wen, Andrew or Eric as individuals. When it became obvious this wasn't going to be something I hadn't read or watched before, I detached.

By the final chapters, though, I couldn't not turn the pages to find out what the Dads would do. What the ending would reveal, if anything.

The tension was masterful.

3 stars ( )
  flying_monkeys | Oct 23, 2018 |
Apocalyptic. scary and boring in places. ( )
  TaurusReader | Sep 28, 2018 |
Wow. Talk about a truly terrifying book. A little girl and her two dads find themselves hosting a party of four lunatics in a remote cabin in the woods. The family is told they have an important decision to make - that will save the entire world. And...I cannot say much more than that without giving away what I think are important plot points.

At least twice while reading I said, out loud, "oh my god."

Just a heartbreaking and horrifying book crafted around the themes of loyalty and family.

Dang. ( )
  ouroborosangel | Sep 7, 2018 |
The Short of It:

When I think “cabin” I usually think of tranquility, vacation, rest. I don’t think that anymore.

The Rest of It:

I originally requested a copy of this one because of an endorsement I had read from Stephen King on Twitter.

However, by the time I actually read it, mixed reviews began to pop up. In some cases I can see why, but for the most part, I agree with King’s assessment.

First off, the setting. Most of the story takes place in a small cabin in the woods. It’s remote and there is no cell service. But that is exactly what Wen and her two dads wanted. A little screen-free downtime.

What they didn’t want, were four strangers, dressed in plaid, overtaking their cabin with a twisted plot to save the world. The world that they believe is ending. Or, is it?

There was one part in this story where I almost completely lost it because I was thinking something was about to happen, but then it didn’t. I was so relieved. But that lead-up! I was on edge and shaking my head from side-to-side because I did not want the story to go that way.

But then the story continued and I really didn’t know what to think. I could not figure out what was going to happen and that BUGGED me but it also had me flipping those pages.

The premise itself it terrifying. People, can be terrifying. Their beliefs, no matter how ridiculous can cause you serious anxiety, This book is like one big panic attack. My mind was all over the place. This was a good thing.

There is one plot point that made me super angry. When I read it, I put my Kindle down and was like, “Seriously?” I had to take a break after that because I could not see the story moving forward but it does.

The Cabin at the End of the World will have you questioning what you would do in a similar situation. How desperate do you have to be to do what’s needed?

If you focus on the plight of these characters, you’ll appreciate it but it’s the type of story that is left wide open for your own interpretation.

For more reviews, visit my blog: Book Chatter. ( )
  tibobi | Aug 27, 2018 |
This book was terrifying and definitely isn't for the faint of heart. While I liked this book and read it in two sittings, I would hesitate to recommend it to some of my more tender hearted friends. Seven year old Wen is playing outside the very remote vacation cabin where she and her fathers are staying when a friendly stranger comes up and helps her to catch grasshoppers. Then, three other strangers come up the driveway with strange weapons and an even stranger story about needing their help to save the world. This was very thought provoking, are the strangers telling the truth or are they completely insane? And, what difference does it make when they need your help to save the world? ( )
  Dianekeenoy | Aug 9, 2018 |

Seven-year-old Wen and her parents, Eric and Andrew, are vacationing at a remote cabin on a quiet New Hampshire lake. Their closest neighbors are more than two miles in either direction along a rutted dirt road. One afternoon, as Wen catches grasshoppers in the front yard, a stranger unexpectedly appears in the driveway. Leonard is the largest man Wen has ever seen but he is young, friendly, and he wins her over almost instantly. Leonard and Wen talk and play until Leonard abruptly apologizes and tells Wen, "None of whats going to happen is your fault". Three more strangers then arrive at the cabin carrying unidentifiable, menacing objects. As Wen sprints inside to warn her parents, Leonard calls out: "Your dads wont want to let us in, Wen. But they have to. We need your help to save the world." Thus begins an unbearably tense, gripping tale of paranoia, sacrifice, apocalypse, and survival that escalates to a shattering conclusion, one in which the fate of a loving family and quite possibly all of humanity are entwined.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,682,071 books! | Top bar: Always visible