House of Incest by Anaïs Nin

House of Incest (1936)

by Anaïs Nin

Moonwise by Greer Ilene Gilman (TheSpecialistsCat)
    TheSpecialistsCat: A much longer dream-like prose poem, in the guise of a fantasy novel. It is cryptic and dense and may require some familiarity with English dialects and folklore, but if you get past that, it's another book to keep by the bed and read over and over.… (more)

English (5)  Swedish (1)  All languages (6)
“If only we could all escape from this house of incest, where we only love ourselves in the other." Nin's first published novel differs from most of her other books since it does not deal in her sexual experimentation nor reveal any obvious secrets. But when you're having sex with your shrink (Otto Rank) - which she was supposedly doing at the time - you get caught up in going as far back as you can...In this case all the way back to her birth. ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
i love your work
  JamieThead | Jan 31, 2009 |
Perfection. This novella is like a dream. I have it by my bed and read it always. Loved it so much I tattooed it's words on my waist. (Not ALL of it's words, just a few...) ( )
  girlsgonechild | Aug 30, 2006 |
Nin is more widely read for her diaries than her fiction, but the student of literature can find value in her fiction, because she was a writer's writer. She influenced writers from Henry James to Lawrence Durrell to Gore Vidal. She had her own unique idea of surrealist fiction, which she called "extended prose poems". House of Incest is an example of Nin's unique, fluid, spontaneous way of writing, in which only internal psychological and emotional events stood as notes in her composition. ( )
  SquirrelTao | Jul 11, 2006 |
If only we could all escape from this house of incest, where we only love ourselves in the other, if only I could save you all from yourselves, said the modern Christ.
DO NOT ADD/COMBINE if Winter of Artifice is included.

The House of Incest, Anais Nin's famous prose poem, was first published in Paris in 1936 and immediately drew attention from the era's prominent writers, including Henry Miller and Lawrence Durrell. While written in English, it is considered a landmark work in the French surrealist tradition and one of the most unique books in 20th century literature.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,301,730 books! | Top bar: Always visible