Mouse Guard, Volume 1: Fall 1152 by David…

Mouse Guard, Volume 1: Fall 1152

by David Petersen

Recently added byMKobyCoats, Cargm, Payador, private library, beadgirlj, Stillerman, BastiaanvdA, abrill, StrawberryBur

English (57)  French (1)  All languages (58)
Mouse Guard is, like all graphic novels that focus on the art, a quick read. However, there is so much detail to the artwork that once you finish it, you’ll want to go back and read it over again just to catch the nuances to the pictures.

This is truly a lovely book, and it has a nicely-developed plot to go along with it. I had expected, based on the cover (and the fact that it is about mice) for it to be kid-oriented. Not so. This is a book that will appeal to many ages, but the storyline itself is better for teens or adults than kids, due to the treachery within the mouse ranks. I’ll not go into more detail than that, because the story is worth discovering for yourself. There are battles, though, and some of the mice get gravely injured. As my sister said, the mice are drawn really cute, and we didn’t want to see even the “bad mice” get hurt.

This is the first volume, and if all the others are as well illustrated as this one, they’ll be worth picking up as a group. This is the type of graphic novel that makes me wish I could draw something more than stick figures and cartoon frogs. Alas, drawing is not in my skill-set, so I’ll just have to continue enjoying the work of those who can draw. David Petersen is definitely among them. ( )
  ca.bookwyrm | Jan 26, 2018 |
Really fascinated by this world... somewhat reminiscent of the Redwall series. ( )
  lissabeth21 | Oct 3, 2017 |
The writing is pretty bad, but the art is great enough to make up for it. ( )
  comfypants | Jan 5, 2017 |
amazing artwork - a gorgeous book. ( )
  pixiegenne | Nov 11, 2016 |
It was probably pretty good - and it certainly was pretty. I guess I just don't have the skill to read graphic novels.
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 5, 2016 |
It’s the details that sell the tale, as when the mice make camp, curled up in makeshift shelter with weapons at the ready, or when a leaf becomes a boat for coastal travel. The fight scenes are admirably staged, and the animals are realistic (with the addition of their tiny swords and other weapons).

For my wife Julia

And in loving memory of
Gilbert and Doris Peterson
The mice struggle to live safely and prosper among all of the world's harsh conditions and predators.
Let me tell ye about the Guard.
"It matters not what you gifht but what you fight for."

Adventures of three mice, Saxon, Kenzie and Lieam patrol borders, and strive to make safeways to keep the mouse territories free from predators.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,402,404 books! | Top bar: Always visible