Thrawn: Alliances

by Timothy Zahn

4451944,403 (3.64)6
#1 NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER - Grand Admiral Thrawn and Darth Vader team up against a threat to the Empire in this thrilling novel from bestselling author Timothy Zahn. "I have sensed a disturbance in the Force." Ominous words under any circumstances, but all the more so when uttered by Emperor Palpatine. On Batuu, at the edges of the Unknown Regions, a threat to the Empire is taking root--its existence little more than a glimmer, its consequences as yet unknowable. But it is troubling enough to the Imperial leader to warrant investigation by his most powerful agents: ruthless enforcer Lord Darth Vader and brilliant strategist Grand Admiral Thrawn. Fierce rivals for the emperor's favor, and outspoken adversaries on Imperial affairs--including the Death Star project--the formidable pair seem unlikely partners for such a crucial mission. But the Emperor knows it's not the first time Vader and Thrawn have joined forces. And there's more behind his royal command than either man suspects. In what seems like a lifetime ago, General Anakin Skywalker of the Galactic Republic, and Commander Mitth'raw'nuruodo, officer of the Chiss Ascendancy, crossed paths for the first time. One on a desperate personal quest, the other with motives unknown . . . and undisclosed. But facing a gauntlet of dangers on a far-flung world, they forged an uneasy alliance--neither remotely aware of what their futures held in store. Now, thrust together once more, they find themselves bound again for the planet where they once fought side by side. There they will be doubly challenged--by a test of their allegiance to the Empire . . . and an enemy that threatens even their combined might. Praise for Thrawn: Alliances"It's a science fiction beach read in the best way, brisk and amusing, with some cool additions to the Star Wars galaxy."--Den of Geek "Like all of Zahn's novels set in a galaxy far, far away, it's an essential read for anyone looking for an artistically done adventure."--CNET… (more)

I have always loved the Star Wars universe and especially the novels that were written about it. Timothy Zahn definitely writes my favorite books about it. His stories fit quite well within the framework of the existing Star Wars world while adding something new and extra to it. I like his writing style and characterizations a great deal. ( )
  KateKat11 | Sep 24, 2021 |
Spring 2019 - audiobook;

I'm so torn between 4 stars and 5 stars, but I'm trying not to end up passing judgment on the Zahn for a narrator who just made me think stoned surfer boy every single time Anakin spoke, and whiny wimpy small child every time Padme did. I loved, love, love, his Thrawn voice, and I loved the book and story, itself quite a lot.

I love the stories with the children. I love the tit-a-tat going back and forth between Anakin & Thrawn in the past, where they first met, and Darth Vader & Thrawn in the future. I love the respect, and challenge, and the ultimate sorrow we get in some of those back and forth's between them in those different time periods because they are what are.

I love everything about Padme in this book. About her haring off to save her own handmaiden (and always more things about the handmaidens!) and about her own husband assuming she'd come save him once he got himself into too much trouble with slamming into a situation too bruskly. It's beautiful. It's definitely left me wanting to read the first and third book. ( )
  wanderlustlover | Aug 21, 2021 |
This second book of the new trilogy, after Star Wars: Thrawn, teams up Grand Admiral Thrawn with Darth Vader. In a parallel narrative, a younger Thrawn still with the Chiss Ascendency meets up with Anakin Skywalker during the Clone Wars. In both stories their mission brings them to the remote planet of Batuu, which just happens to also be the planet used for Star Wars: Galaxy's Edge at Disney theme parks (if Disney's going to Star Wars synergy like this, at least they did it very well!).

Thrawn and Vader make an interesting pair because they seem to be the only individuals who can trip one another up. There's a lot of tension due to their mutual mistrust and competing goals. While I didn't think it was a good as the first book as it gets bogged down in plot details, it's still a compelling novel. I also felt Eli Vanto's presence was missing from this book. Still, I'm looking forward to book 3. ( )
1 vote Othemts | Jan 24, 2021 |
I thought this was a really excellent Zahn and Thrawn book! The intertwined tale through past and present featuring Anakin, Padme, and Thrawn was so interesting and their character dynamics were exciting. PLUS, it was really fun to read something about Padme as her character is not written about as often as some others; I though Zahn did a great job as well continuing to show her as that delicate balance of warrior--politician as well. ( )
  Ambie-Wan | Jan 9, 2021 |
Too much Anakin and Padmé and Vader, too little Thrawn. ( )
  ladyars | Dec 31, 2020 |
For all those who've ever wondered if they were teamed up with the wrong person...
"I have sensed a disturbance in the Force."

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 166,145,836 books! | Top bar: Always visible