The Day of the Dead by Nicci French

The Day of the Dead (2018)

by Nicci French

English (21)  Dutch (2)  All languages (23)
From Amazon:

LOUISE PENNY says the Frieda Klein novels are "fabulous."

JOSEPH FINDER says they're "in the rich vein of Kate Atkinson."

And TAMI HOAG calls them "truly unique."

Criminology student Lola Hayes has tracked Frieda down with a single-minded pursuit: she wants to delve inside the mind of a woman besieged by darkness. But in following every move Frieda makes, Lola is exposing herself to the same terrors—and the same twisted fixation of a diabolical psychopath.

This gripping cat-and-mouse thriller pits one of the most fascinating characters in contemporary fiction against an enemy like none other. Smart, sophisticated, and spellbinding, it's a novel to leave you breathless.

This is an extremely well done psychological study of Lola Hayes as she descends into almost psychotic fear and paralysis after being pulled into Frieda’s and thus Dean Reeve’s orbit.

It’s also the story of how Frieda successfully stays hidden from Dean, maintaining her sanity and figuring out how to survive. Her hiding places work for a while then stop working. Who’s leaking the information?

There is a new series of killings. The pattern is one that is meaningful to Frieda but requires a bit of juggling to bring off. It is one of the few plot contrivances that seemed obvious to me, but I forgave the authors because of how the entire novel depended on it.

Dean and Frieda are communicating with each other – “I’m here”, “I’m watching you”, “I understand the pattern”. To say too much gives away some basic plot features that only gradually become apparent to the reader.

In the meantime, the people Frieda loves and who love her are desolate at her having gone underground and don't even know if she's alive. Josef takes care of her house, the un-named cat goes to live with Reuben and Josef. Her niece Chloe and Josef take on a labor of love, a physical testament to their belief that she will survive.

In all of this, Frieda is calm, calculating, playing Dean and being played by Dean. It’s an intricate dance, the end of which is predictable yet totally unexpected in the way it plays out.

I’m not sure I’d be willing to spend much time with Frieda, but the time would be productive and thought provoking. It would also be hard work and not for anybody who isn't willing to look into their innermost self for truth.

It is not an easy thing to build suspense consistently across 8 books. It is not easy to believably create a foe as psychotic and divorced from any normal human feelings as Dean Reeve. It’s also not easy to give us such a complicated, distant, yet ultimately lovable character as Frieda Klein. The authors come through magnificently.

If you love psychological thrillers and challenging reads, this is the series for you. ( )
  karenmarie | Mar 16, 2019 |
Lola Hayes is having a difficult time choosing a topic for her dissertation in psychology when a professor suggests a subject that leads her down an obsessive road to murder. Interesting characters provide obstacles that leave Lola in peril and wondering how far she will go to make the grade.

I was randomly chosen to receive this book. I was under no obligation to write a review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. ( )
  bemislibrary | Nov 12, 2018 |
This book was so absorbing ; the charactors and detail and intense emotions. I regret not reading the previous books in the series. Loved the book - I can see why Louise Penny was so entralled. Loved the slow buildup to a fantastic finish! ( )
  juju2cat | Oct 13, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The Day of the Dead from Nicci French is a fitting finale to the Frieda Klein series. This volume probably wasn't my favorite in the series but is still an exceptional novel. And yes, I admit, there is a chance that my rating is influenced a small bit by the series as a whole.

The interplay between Freida and Lola is interesting and the usual cast of minor characters are, as expected, fun. One of the most interesting aspects of the series as a whole is the intellectual side of any investigation. Where many novels use very basic cause and effect, and quite well in most cases, the cerebral back and forth in this novel (and series) makes it stand out.

Frieda is not the easiest person to love though she is not an unlikable character either. Her quirks are the type that would make her a difficult friend in real life. Yet they also make her a fascinating character.

I would certainly recommend this to fans of the series as well as fans of thrillers. While having read the previous novels would make some of the background easier to grasp I don't think it is absolutely necessary, you just won't fully catch some of the nuance between characters. So while I think this can be read as a standalone, I would suggest that anyone who likes reading a series put this one off and start with the first novel, Blue Monday. If you're resistant to following a series, then by all means enjoy this as a standalone. But be warned you may want to go back and read the previous books after meeting Frieda.

Reviewed from a copy made available by the publisher via LibraryThing Early Reviewers. ( )
  pomo58 | Sep 24, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is the final book in the series featuring Frieda Klein, and was a worthy finale. Frieda hides out from the world in order to protect her friends from murderer Dean Reeve, who is determined to find and kill her. Instead she is found by a young criminology student who then must be protected by Frieda. The cat and mouse game continues to its inevitable end in a satisfying way. Maybe Frieda will appear in future books. If not, I'll miss her, but will be looking for other books by this author. ( )
  terran | Sep 22, 2018 |
Voor Edgar, Anna, Hadley en Molly
Het was maandagochtend, onbewolkt en warm, te warm voor zo laat in de herfst.
It was a Monday morning, it was bright, it was warm, too warm for late autumn, and Charlotte Beck was about to experience the one really dramatic thing that would happen to her in her entire life.
"Can you forgive yourself?"

"Now the final book in this extraordinary series is here. And it's an ending you'll never forget... A decade ago, psychologist Frieda Klein was sucked into the orbit of Dean Reeve -- a killer able to impersonate almost anyone, a man who can disappear without a trace, a psychopath obsessed with Frieda herself. In the years since, Frieda has worked with -- and sometimes against -- the London police in solving their most baffling cases. But now she's in hiding, driven to isolation by Reeve. When a series of murders announces his return, Frieda must emerge from the shadows to confront her nemesis. And it's a showdown she might not survive. Criminology student Lola Hayes has tracked Frieda down with a single-minded pursuit: she wants to delve inside the mind of a woman besieged by darkness. But in following every move Frieda makes, Lola is exposing herself to the same terrors--and the same twisted fixation of a diabolical psychopath. This gripping cat-and-mouse thriller pits one of the most fascinating characters in contemporary fiction against an enemy like none other. Smart, sophisticated, and spellbinding, it's a novel to leave you breathless"--… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Nicci French's book The Day of the Dead was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,471,283 books! | Top bar: Always visible