The Guest Cat by Takashi Hiraide

The Guest Cat (2014)

by Takashi Hiraide

English (37)  French (4)  Dutch (3)  Finnish (2)  Spanish (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (48)
Pleasant quick read. The translators notes at the back help a lot with the context; I recommend checking them after each chapter, before moving onto the next. ( )
  squizzie | Jan 19, 2019 |
For some reason, when I first started this book, I thought "The Guest Cat" was a novel, but I soon realised my mistake. While I enjoyed the lush descriptions of the gardens and the humorous antics of Chibi, the guest cat who became a regular visitor at the author and his wife's home, the rest of the book left me cold. By just over the halfway mark, Chibi was dead and "The Guest Cat" was basically informing the reader of the author's search for a new house. There was too much detail about unnecessary things such as the zigzagging alleyway near their house and the guesthouse itself. I now know where every window was located in their home whether I wanted to, or not!

Thankfully, "The Guest Cat" was a very short book because it lacked depth and emotion, and the ending was just weird. If you're a cat lover looking for a heartwarming story about a feline companion, then don't bother with this book. It was a waste of time. ( )
  HeatherLINC | Jul 24, 2018 |
Spesiell, men nydelig bok. Katter er fantastiske dyr ❤ ( )
  henriette89 | Apr 21, 2018 |
Spesiell, men nydelig bok. Katter er fantastiske dyr ❤ ( )
  henriette89 | Apr 21, 2018 |
Touching story about a young Japanese couple's love for a neighborhood cat . Good, but I feel that I missed a lot of shades and meanings. ( )
  bgknighton | Feb 7, 2018 |

Takashi Hiraideprimary authorall editionscalculated
Gräfe, UrsulaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Selland, EricTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Haute, LukTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Op het eerste gezicht waren het zwevende wolkenflarden
At first it looked like low-lying ribbons of clouds just floating there, but then the clouds would be blown a little bit to the right and next to the left.

The Guest Cat is a subtly moving novel that conveys deeply felt ways of being. Two writers, a young couple, enjoy their quiet cottage in a leafy part of Tokyo: they work at home as freelance editors. One day a cat invites herself into their small kitchen. She is a beautiful creature. she leaves, but comes again, and then again and again. New, small joys, radiated by the fleeting loveliness of life, accompany the cat; the days take on more light and color.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,118,063 books! | Top bar: Always visible