The Guest Cat (2001)

by Takashi Hiraide

The Guest Cat is a subtly moving novel that conveys deeply felt ways of being. Two writers, a young couple, enjoy their quiet cottage in a leafy part of Tokyo: they work at home as freelance editors. One day a cat invites herself into their small kitchen. She is a beautiful creature. she leaves, but comes again, and then again and again. New, small joys, radiated by the fleeting loveliness of life, accompany the cat; the days take on more light and color.… (more)
Recently added byprivate library, Mako-chan, SamanthaD-KR, moggle, SONYAns, YoavCohen, CarolineElise, Yoxix

English (46)  French (4)  Dutch (3)  Spanish (2)  Finnish (2)  Swedish (1)  All languages (58)
I was angry when I first reviewed this and gave it 1 star.

Thinking about it later, I didn't actively dislike it so it can have two stars.
Didn't really do anything for me, I found it quite boring and couldn't connect with any of it. Lots of description, often quite nice but, meh. ( )
  mjhunt | Jan 22, 2021 |
Poetic little book about the emotional connection between humans and cats. On a secondary level it also describes the complex feelings between people i.e. the reciprocated younger renting couple's respect and fondness for their elderly landlords. As well as the jealousy of the neighbors (who believed they were the true "owners" of Chibi) to the young renting couple who visited often by Chibi loved him too.

Couple worked professionally in creative fields, often with other creative people. The narrator describes so many things he sees and feels in beautiful, scientific detail. Had me wondering if book was actually non-fiction. How is it possible to write both poetically and scientifically? I would not think the two fields could work together.

Takashi Hiraide has created a lovely, touching, intelligent gem of a book.
  Bookish59 | Jan 15, 2021 |
Lovely. ( )
  AnnaWaffles | Aug 28, 2020 |
As an animal person...(anything except spiders)...and having been owned by several cats...I was interested in this little gem. I really expected there to be more story to the story...but what there was was touching. It's an account of how a little cat entered the hearts of a Japanese couple and brightened up their sterile lives. The cat chose to spend half its life with them and when it died they realized how much it had impacted them. If you've been owned by a cat ever in your life you can relate to how typical this is of these independent little creatures. We make them part of our families but never doubt for a moment that they are the ones who chose you and allowed you to be a part of their lives. All in all...it's a light and "fluffy" little book that's quick and easy to read. ( )
  Carol420 | Jun 15, 2020 |

Definitivamente, la literatura japonesa sobre gatos NO es sobre gatos. Los felinos no son más que una excusa, como mucho un disparador para algo más. «Vine por las mascotas, me quedé por los temas subyacentes»: una trampa perfecta.

En este caso, el gato representa un cambio, pero también una nostalgia infinita. «[b:El gato que venía del cielo|22702917|El gato que venía del cielo|Takashi Hiraide|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1404998088l/22702917._SY75_.jpg|24515019]» trata en realidad sobre la vida cotidiana de una pareja, con sus pequeños tedios y alegrías, en el Japón de los '80s.

La prosa del autor es exquisita. Es una novela tremendamente costumbrista, en la que a cada paso que dan los protagonistas se va pintando un cuadro. Esa es la sensación que me genera cada descripción, cada suceso. A veces, incluso, se le va un poco la mano a Hiraide con el nivel de detalle; llegando a ser apabullante cuando habla sobre la disposición de las casas en la vecindad donde ocurre el encuentro con el animalito que da título al libro.

Y como dije, la nostalgia. Es vivir en un mundo perfecto, pero a sabiendas de que ya empieza a desmoronarse, a caer; como una espiral creciente que todo lo envuelve, y que tarde o temprano termina con todo lo que es bello en nuestro mundo. Pero en una forma muy sutil, lo que tal vez sea aún más cruel. ( )
  little_raven | Jun 1, 2020 |

Takashi Hiraideprimary authorall editionscalculated
Selland, EricTranslatormain authorsome editionsconfirmed
Foujita, TsuguharuCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Gräfe, UrsulaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Selland, EricTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Van Haute, LukTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Op het eerste gezicht waren het zwevende wolkenflarden
At first it looked like low-lying ribbons of clouds just floating there, but then the clouds would be blown a little bit to the right and next to the left.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 159,008,420 books! | Top bar: Always visible