The Prisoner in the Castle by Susan Elia…

The Prisoner in the Castle

by Susan Elia MacNeal

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this as an early review book but I was a few books behind in the series so I read those to catch up. Perhaps I read too many in too short time. The story was okay but I am beginning to weary of the series and of Maggie also. I will see how I feel when the next one comes out as to whether I want to continue or not. There are so many WWII books and I tend to gravitate toward them. MacNeal does her research but there just doesn't seem to be as much substance as in others I have read. ( )
  bacreads | Apr 27, 2019 |
I have read none of the other Maggie Hope mysteries. I will need to add her to my list of novels to read. Following in the footsteps of Agatha Christie’s _And Then There Were None_. An author who used detailed research in preparation for a historical mystery has my admiration. Stuck in a Scottish castle with other British spies who have been deemed a threat to the British struggle in World War II, Maggie finds herself in a desperate search for a Nazi spy who is killing the “guests” one by one. ( )
  brangwinn | Mar 30, 2019 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This 8th book in the terrific Maggie Hope World War 2 spy mystery series is an Agatha Christie "And Then There Were None" meets British wartime spies book.

The Maggie Hope books are one of my favorite series. She is very clever and creates interesting scenarios. This one does not disappoint!! ( )
  lindapanzo | Jan 27, 2019 |
Please see my review on Amazon.com under C. Wong. Thank you. ( )
  Carolee888 | Nov 18, 2018 |
Susan Elia MacNeal’s eighth book in her Maggie Hope WWII series, The Prisoner in the Castle is an homage to Agatha Christie’s And Then There Were None. Maggie Hope, a British spy whose last assignment was in France for Britain’s SOE, now resides in a deserted castle on a Scottish island with other British spies.

No one but a few government officials know where they are or why. When a dead body turns up, the spies are concerned, and that concern turns to fear when one by one the residents of the castle are murdered.

Maggie teams up with Sayid, an attractive doctor, to figure out what is going on and to try and stay alive. The problem they all have is knowing whom to trust. They are all spies, trained to gain the trust of people and then betray that trust.

MacNeal does a great deal of research for her books, and if you close your eyes, you’d swear that you are right there in the castle, on that island. There is an incredibly tense scene near the end, with Maggie’s life in danger, that will have your heart pounding as you turn the pages. ( )
  bookchickdi | Nov 15, 2018 |
There is a passion for hunting something deeply implanted in the human breast. - Charles Dickens, Oliver Twist
There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter. - Ernest Hemingway, "On the Blue Water"
Am fear bhitheas trocaireach ri anam, cha bhi e mi-throcaireach ri bhruid. [He who is merciful to his soul will not be unmerciful to a beast.] - Gaelic Saying
To the brave women and men of Britain's Special Operations Executive, who trained and taught at Arisaig House in Lochaber, Inverness-shire, on the west coast of the Scottish Highlands.
Thank you to Sarah Winnington-Ingram, Kitty Rose Winnington-Ingram, Magnus Winnington-Ingram, and the entire family and staff of Arisaig House, who honor the memory of SOE agents who trained there and who helped me research this book.
Always remember, when you're on the run, instinct will take over -- and if you're not careful, you'll become nothing more than an animal.

"American-born spy and code-breaker extraordinaire Maggie Hope must solve a baffling series of murders among a group of captive agents on an isolated Scottish island as the acclaimed World War II mystery series from New York Times bestselling author Susan Elia MacNeal continues. Maggie Hope is being held prisoner on a remote Scottish island with other SOE agents who know too much for the enemy's comfort. All the spies on the island are trained to kill--and when they start dropping off one-by-one, Maggie needs to find the murderer... before she becomes the next victim"--

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Susan Elia MacNeal's book The Prisoner in the Castle is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Susan Elia MacNeal's book The Prisoner in the Castle was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

Susan Elia MacNeal is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 137,314,759 books! | Top bar: Always visible