Angus and Sadie by Cynthia Voigt

Angus and Sadie (2005)

by Cynthia Voigt

Angus and Sadie, two siblings that are of mostly border collie heritage, are adopted by a young couple and start living on a Maine farm, where they begin to learn sheep herding and come to appreciate how they are different from each another.

I read this to my four- and seven-year-old daughters. They loved it; me not so much. I found the story really boring. It was really just "day in the life" kind of stuff while going through the seasons. Nothing that interesting or exciting happened. I would have liked to have had more adventure. I also did not like Angus at all. Especially at the end; he was really mean to Sadie. Didn't care for that. I didn't care for the writing style either; I had to add a lot of "Sadie said" and "Angus said" to the dialogue between the dogs so my kids would understand who was saying what. Overall, just not thrilled with this book, but gave it three stars since my kids liked it. ( )
  Aseleener | Mar 24, 2018 |
After Mister and Missus decide that having a dog on their farm could be useful, they adopt half-Border Collie siblings Angus and Sadie from the animal shelter. Angus is strong, smart, and quick to learn while Sadie is smaller, gentler, and has trouble obeying. On the farm, they start to discover just how different they are in personality and ability, but they learn how to appreciate those differences. This is a sweet story about growing up and finding self-identity told through the perspectives of the puppy siblings. The dogs’ viewpoints are well-done and believable while still making it clear to the reader that they are dogs, not people. Charming illustrations are dotted throughout the text depicting important scenes. Angus and Sadie’s story is best suited for children between ages 10 and 14. Readers who are fond of animals will enjoy this book and it has a good lesson to impart on how being different is okay and people’s differences are something to be valued and respected. ( )
  robincar | Nov 9, 2013 |
A farm couple in Maine decide that they need a dog and end up with a brother and sister border collie and shepherd mix from the animal shelter. Though they are siblings, the two are very different. Angus is strong and outgoing and eventually become the leader. Sadie is reserved, smaller, and proves herself when she rescues a stray sheep. The two dogs are very different, but they come to respect and love one another.

I thought that this would be a great story for students who love dogs. It has a good moral to it.

I would have students think of ways that they may be different from their friends and why being different is important and something to be cherished. I would have students brainstorm ways that their differences make them stronger. ( )
  tnelson725 | Oct 8, 2010 |
When Mister and Missus decide they would like a dog to share their work and daily lives on the farm, and visit the local animal shelter to pick out a puppy, they get more than the bargained for. Litter mates, the newly dubbed Angus and Sadie, border collie mixes, quickly prove that they may be brother and sister, but they aren't carbon copies.

Voight has done a good job of capturing the dogs' voices and the differences in their talents and personalities while letting them remain dogs. Leigh's illustrations add just the right touch. ( )
  SunnySD | Jan 3, 2009 |
Angus and Sadie, sibling pups that are of mostly border collie heritage, are adopted by a young couple and taken to live on a Maine farm, where they begin to learn sheep herding and come to appreciate their differences. This a cute book that brings up an important life lesson, but in a fun and creative way. ( )
  tammieklage | Oct 25, 2007 |
Mister and Missus lived on a farm in Maine.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,160,122 books! | Top bar: Always visible