Terminal Uprising (2019)

by Jim C. Hines

Series: Janitors of the Post-Apocalypse (2)

Human civilization didn't just fall. It was pushed.   The Krakau came to Earth in the year 2104. By 2105, humanity had been reduced to shambling, feral monsters. In the Krakau's defense, it was an accident, and a century later, they did come back and try to fix us. Sort of.   It's been four months since Marion "Mops" Adamopoulos learned the truth of that accident. Four months since she and her team of hygiene and sanitation specialists stole the EMCS Pufferfish and stopped a bioterrorism attack against the Krakau homeworld. Four months since she set out to find proof of what really happened on Earth all those years ago.   Between trying to protect their secrets and fighting the xenocidal Prodryans, who've been escalating their war against everyone who isn't Prodryan, the Krakau have their tentacles full.   Mops' mission changes when she learns of a secret Krakau laboratory on Earth. A small group under command of Fleet Admiral Belle-Bonne Sage is working to create a new weapon, one that could bring victory over the Prodryans ... or drown the galaxy in chaos.   To discover the truth, Mops and her rogue cleaning crew will have to do the one thing she fears most: return to Earth, a world overrun by feral apes, wild dogs, savage humans, and worse. (After all, the planet hasn't been cleaned in a century and a half!) What Mops finds in the filthy ruins of humanity could change everything, assuming she survives long enough to share it.   Perhaps humanity isn't as dead as the galaxy thought.… (more)

A beautifully written, occassionally humorous, fast paced adventure through space and back to zombie infested Earth to uncover the what-ever-it-is the Krakau are hiding. Characters evolve, Puffy the help widget gets a battle mop (!!), a Prodryan lawyer joins the crew, Wolf learns about skunks, and janitors get up to ingenious (and often amusing) shenanigans with cleaning supplies. I will never look at my cleaning agents or vacuum cleaner the same way again. A lovely sequel to Terminal Alliance. ( )
  ElentarriLT | Mar 24, 2020 |
"Alliance computers are requesting interface," said Doc. "There are six thousand, four hundred, and eleven software updates pending." ( )
  Jon_Hansen | Jan 19, 2020 |
I'm surprised this series seems under the radar so far. What's not to like about warrior janitors? And now warrior librarians, as well! Mops is so quick on the uptake. She is attentive to odd, obscure facts; and can use them to construct unexpected gambits. She is the opposite of the warrior humans that the Krakau desire. And Wolfy steps up in the same manner once she begins asking herself "What would Mops do?"

Throw all of the rules out and look at the situation with fresh eyes. Confronted with human soldiers intent on capturing her? First ask about a mutual friend... then warn that shooting would have them all be farted out of the hibernating creature they are inside of. ( )
  2wonderY | Jul 8, 2019 |
You need to have read the first book in the series before embarking on this one, this just follows up on the first story and now Mops is determined to discover more about humanity's past and how it has got to where it is. She also has to deal with a lawyer, that might's exactly have humanity's best interest at heart and the fact that several people want her dead to keep their secrets, well, secret.

There's character development (one of my favourite is her AI!), people having to deal with leadership roles being thrust at them and fighting Librarians. It's witty and fun and both myself and my husband read it. Despite me reading it first that didn't stop my husband from reading funny pieces out to me. ( )
  wyvernfriend | May 14, 2019 |
Goodreads

I have been looking forward to reading Terminal Uprising because I couldn’t wait to pick up where the story from Terminal Alliance had left off! Marion “Mops” Adamopoulos is back with her crew but this time they are looking for answers in the most dangerous of places, Earth! In this book, the crew of the EMCS Pufferfish are fugitives with plenty of heat coming down on them. What they should be doing is looking for a place to hide but there are situations brewing that they just can’t ignore. There is one Krakau who is actually doing what they can to send the crew information and clues in order to help them reveal some long-hidden truths about humanity as well as expose the secrets of a rather maniacal character. Following the clues and information will lead Mops and her crew into some sticky situations but luckily these scrappy characters have a few surprises of their own.

This story has a different tone than the prequel and it was certainly a most enjoyable read! It was everything I was hoping for and more. I really like the direction that the overarching storyline is taking in this series. In addition, I loved all the tongue-in-cheek humor that this novel delivers but there is also a seriousness to what the characters are uncovering and that is what keeps me so intrigued with the Janitors of the Post-Apocalypse series. I will admit that there are so many quotes from the book that I would love to share because they had me laughing out loud but they would be spoilers and I can’t do that. Trust me though, this book will have you cracking up! Lots to love in Terminal Uprising and I know that I am definitely looking forward to the next installment in this series!!

This review is based on a complimentary book I received from NetGalley. It is an honest and voluntary review. The complimentary receipt of it in no way affected my review or rating. ( )
1 vote TheGenreMinx | Feb 8, 2019 |

Jim C. Hinesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Dos Santos, DanCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
G-Force DesignCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Jim C. Hines is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,392,387 books! | Top bar: Always visible