In an Absent Dream

by Seanan McGuire

Series: Wayward Children (4)

Fantasy. Fiction. Mythology. HTML:

A stand-alone fantasy tale from Seanan McGuire's Alex Award-winning Wayward Children series, which began in the Alex, Hugo, Nebula, and Locus Award-winning, World Fantasy Award finalist, Tiptree Honor List Every Heart a Doorway
/> This fourth entry and prequel tells the story of Lundy, a very serious young girl who would rather study and dream than become a respectable housewife and live up to the expectations of the world around her. As well she should.
When she finds a doorway to a world founded on logic and reason, riddles and lies, she thinks she's found her paradise. Alas, everything costs at the goblin market, and when her time there is drawing to a close, she makes the kind of bargain that never plays out well.
The Wayward Children Series
Book 1: Every Heart a Doorway
Book 2: Down Among the Sticks and Bones
Book 3: Beneath the Sugar Sky
Book 4: In an Absent Dream

.… (more)
Recently added bybrit212, private library, tardistein, NovaRen47, Ayidawedo, veletaj970, joyeusenoelle, ashleenull

I actually found this one depressing and don’t think I’ll continue.

The writing is really lovely and it’s littered with poignant phrases and moments and very memorable worlds but I find these books unsatisfying, so I think I’ll end my journey here. ( )
  spiritedstardust | Jun 1, 2024 |
Katherine Lundy has always been a serious, bookish little girl, the kind who doesn't quite fit in. When she wanders through a door in the woods, she finds herself in the Goblin Market, where the rules are everything, and everything she's ever wanted can be hers, if she's willing to pay the price. Over the years, she goes from that world to this one and back, grappling with what fair value means in each world, and if she can somehow have the best parts of both.

I read the first book in the Wayward Children series a few years ago, long enough that I didn't remember a lot of the details. This book is billed as a stand-alone, but serves chronologically as a prequel, in that it focuses on the character of Lundy and the story of how she found and lost her door. I really loved this story, as it focuses on the Goblin Market and its denizens. A delightful read for fans of the series -- and if you haven't found your way into it yet, this might be your door. ( )
  foggidawn | May 7, 2024 |
In the 1960s, six-year old Katherine Lundy absentmindedly wanders into the woods and finds a tree with a door in it. When she walks through it, she enters the world of the Goblin Market where the rules are simple but have great repercussions. Over the next few years, Lundy goes back and forth between the Goblin Market and the real world but a deadline is coming when she'll have to choose where she belongs and it won't be easy.

This entry in the Wayward Children series is largely a standalone and I adored it. McGuire narrates the tale exquisitely, with a fairy tale-esque tone that evokes the world she has created so beautifully. A brief and utterly entrancing tale that I highly recommend. ( )
  MickyFine | Apr 30, 2024 |
Along with "Every Heart a Doorway", this is my favorite book in the series so far! Nearly every aspect of it was spot-on for me: the beautiful, insightful writing, the world of the Goblin Market, and Lundy herself. Although the ending was slightly too rushed in my opinion, I think it actually fit in well with other themes in the story, so it also worked on another level. I seriously can't wait for the next book to come out! ( )
  deborahee | Feb 23, 2024 |
I loved this book! The world was interesting, Lundy was fun to follow, and it just felt so cozy. I would love to spend more time exploring the Goblin Market. ( )
  LynnMPK | Jan 10, 2024 |

Seanan McGuireprimary authorall editionscalculated
Hopkins, CynthiaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Hunt, RobertCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Stafford-Hill, JamieCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Come buy, come buy:
Our grapes fresh from the vine,
Pomegranates full and fine,
Dates and sharp bullaces,
Rare pears and greengages,
Damsons and bilberries,
Taste them and try:
Currants and gooseberries,
Bright-fire-like barberries,
Figs to fill your mouth,
Citrons from the South,
Sweet to tongue and sound to eye;
Come buy, come buy.

-CHRISTINA ROSSETTI, GOBLIN MARKET
For Talis, who knows the way to the Goblin Market
1964: In a house, on a street, in a town ordinary enough in every aspect to cross over its own roots and becoming remarkable, there lived a girl named Katherine Victoria Lundy.

Fantasy. Fiction. Mythology. HTML:

The Wayward Children Series
Book 1: Every Heart a Doorway
Book 2: Down Among the Sticks and Bones
Book 3: Beneath the Sugar Sky
Book 4: In an Absent Dream

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 208,373,170 books! | Top bar: Always visible