The Fairy-Tale Detectives by Michael Buckley

The Fairy-Tale Detectives (2007)

by Michael Buckley

Other authors: Peter Ferguson (Illustrator)

Series: The Sisters Grimm (1)

Orphans Sabrina and Daphne Grimm are sent to live with an eccentric grandmother that they have always believed to be dead.
    Fablehaven by Brandon Mull (mariah2)
    Theodosia and the Serpents of Chaos by R. L. LaFevers (Rubbah)
    Rubbah: also features funny and bright young female protagonists taking on dark forces
    The Sixty-Eight Rooms by Marianne Malone (kaledrina)
    A Tale Dark and Grimm by Adam Gidwitz (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Fairy tales come to life in these stories inspired by the Grimm Brother's creations. A Tale Dark and Grimm is much more intense and, at times gory, than the lighthearted and funny The Fairy-tale Detectives.

This is a pretty good story for young readers. The only caveat is that they really need to be familiar with a wide variety of fairy tales for it to make much sense. ( )
  grandpahobo | Sep 26, 2019 |
This book is about two girls, Sabrina and Daphne Grimm, who are sent to live with their grandmother, Relda Grimm, in what they initially think is a boring, sleepy town. However, they slowly learn that the town is full of magical characters from their favorite fairy tales, and when Relda is captured by a giant, it is up to the girls to save her!

The story is very fast-paced and filled with slap-stick humor, so that it reads like a Saturday morning cartoon. While this is fun at first, it starts to get a little wearing by the middle of the book. The plot twists are easily figured out before they are revealed, which younger readers may enjoy, but older readers may find boring. By the end of the novel, I felt relieved that I had finished it, but at the same time, was slightly curious to find out how the overall plotline resolves. ( )
  akbooks | Sep 12, 2019 |
Incredible adventures happen when orphan sisters Sabrina and Daphne Grimm are sent to live with Grandmother Relda Grimm. Why is a giant terrorizing the town? Who are the Everafters? Join the sisters in this funny, mysterious, fantastical adventure series!
  mcmlsbookbutler | Jun 28, 2019 |
My 5yo daughter really loved this book. It took us all summer and then some to get through this book, but it was worth it. She wasn't too scared and recognized many of the fairy tale characters who star in this "fractured fairy tale." She can't wait to start the second book in this series.

As for me, I really liked it. Too bad that a story about two kick butt sisters and their kick butt grandma ended with them being saved by the bad guy AND the faux-grandson.
  roniweb | May 30, 2019 |
I read this because my granddaughter is reading it; I find it contrived, confusing and weary. Characters dash about and the main character chatters negatively about herself on every other page.
Bah. ( )
  MaryHeleneMele | May 6, 2019 |

Michael Buckleyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Ferguson, PeterIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Ganser, L. J.Narratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
THE DENSE FOREST BRANCHES scratched at their faces and arms, but Sabrina and Daphne couldn't stop runny, though they had long since passed the point of exhaustion. Fear was fueling each step now.

Another thunderous bellow rang in the distance, followed by the terrible sound of falling trees and shrieking animals.

"We have to find a way to stop it," Daphne cried between gasps.

Sabrina knew her little sister was right. But how? They were two children versus a vicious monster.

"I'll think of something," Sabrina said, dragging her sister behind an enormous oak tree for a much-needed rest. Sabrina squeezed her sister's hand to reassure her, while she forced oxygen into her own burning lungs. Her words were empty. She didn't have a plan. The only thing going on in her head was the thumping of blood roaring through her eardrums. But it made no difference. It had found them. Splintering wood and damp soil rained from the sky as the tree they stood next to was violently uprooted.

The two girls looked up into the horrible face above them and felt hot breath blow through their hair.

What's happened to our lives? Sabrina wondered. When had their world become unrecognizable? And what had happened to her, the eleven-year-old girl who only two days ago had been just an orphan on a train?
In memory of my grandparents, Basil and Relda Gandee
I'm going to die of boredom here, Sabrina Grimm thought as she looked out the train window at Ferryport Landing, New York.

Genre: Comedy and Humour, Mystery and Suspense, Fairy Tales, Fantasy, Series

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,746,691 books! | Top bar: Always visible