Rabbit Redux (1971)

by John Updike

Series: "Rabbit" Series (2)

The assumptions and obsessions that control our daily lives are explored in tantalizing detail by master novelist John Updike in this wise, witty, and sexy story. Harry Angstrom--known to all as Rabbit, one of America's most famous literary characters--finds his dreary life shattered by the infidelity of his wife, Janice. How he resolves or further complicates his problems makes for a novel of the first order.… (more)

English (29)  Dutch (2)  All languages (31)
The story is devolving into a debate on politics. The storyline has disappeared. Sex is more important than life or death. The characters are flat. ( )
  Chrissylou62 | Aug 1, 2020 |
Rabbit, Run is one of the best books I've ever read. So it is disappointing to report that Redux (though pretty solid for the first 100 pages) drops off precipitously once the second chapter starts. Rabbit's visit to a 'black' club and the introduction of a group of pot smoking, jazz-listening African American characters really shows the limitations of his imagination. Every cliché about jazz musicians and the hilariously bad use of patois takes the reader out of the reality of the situation. Also, I must say: Updike's use of the "c" word is excessive and a little nauseating. And don't get me started on the hilariously awful sex scenes. Read Rabbit, Run and be done. ( )
  StephenCrome | Oct 13, 2019 |
This book was an exercise in self-destructive humiliation and deprecation. Everything that could have possibly gone wrong for Rabbit, and his son, did in this novel. I felt that this, essentially, plotless novel was not up to the standard of Rabbit, Run and I wasn't quite sure what Updike was trying to get at. It didn't seem as real as the novel before and I did not really enjoy it as it mostly seemed to be concerned with degeneration of Rabbit's life in such a way that was not appealing. While it was a character study, this one did not grip me and I did not really enjoy it. I stumbled through this one to see if the series picks up again but, I must admit, this one was a heavily disappointing read.

2 stars, and barely that. ( )
  DanielSTJ | Jun 18, 2019 |
After Rabbit, Run comes this. Rabbit’s now settled down but he’s definitely not put the past behind him. He’s in a real dead end job instead of a pretend one, and the woman he felt he couldn’t face in the first book is tired of facing him and gives him some of his own medicine. His son is old enough to know but not old enough to understand.

Once she’s left him, Rabbit starts hanging out with pretty much anyone, and this results in him inviting a couple of strangers to live with him. At this point, Updike finds his philosophical muse in the character of Skeeter and the novel started to bog down a bit for me.

It all comes crashing down in misery towards the end before coming to what, for Rabbit, is something of a happy ending, i.e. mediocrity resumed.

What I became more convinced of through this novel (and the third novel only cemented my opinion) was that here we have people whose existence is entirely pointless. They fulfill no useful function in their society, love only themselves, are entirely self-absorbed, and no one misses them when they’re gone. It’s absolutely miserable.

In every nation, there are communities made up of people like this, and why Updike wrote this is beyond me, although he wrote it very well. The people who are like this won’t read it, and the ones who aren’t hardly need reminding. ( )
  arukiyomi | Nov 10, 2018 |
  BrookeBurgess | Jun 27, 2018 |

John Updikeprimary authorall editionscalculated
Koning, DolfTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Men emerge pale from the little printing plant at four sharp, ghosts for an instant, blinking, until the outdoor light overcomes the look of constant indoor light clinging to them.

An edition of this book was published by Penguin Australia.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,466,505 books! | Top bar: Always visible