The Elements of Typographic Style (1992)

by Robert Bringhurst

Renowned typographer and poet Robert Bringhurst brings clarity to the art of typography with this masterful style guide. Combining the practical, theoretical, and historical, this edition is completely updated, with a thorough revision and updating of the longest chapter, "Prowling the Specimen Books," and many other small but important updates based on things that are continually changing in the field.… (more)

capire questa seconda copia dov'è. Può essere che ne abbia una copia a Milano e una a rosa
  perseveranza | Feb 24, 2021 |
I'm sure it's only the tip of the iceberg, but the book is engrossing enough that I now cast my amateur eye at any piece of text that floats my way. The author knows his stuff; better yet, he weaves humour and passion into what could have been a very dry introductory text.

Although there is a glossary in the back, I would have appreciated more graceful (read: the existence of) introductions to many of the technical terms. There were a few that weren't defined in the glossary and I had to go hunting for the meanings myself.

Other than that, I highly recommend this book for someone with a little bit of patience and a lot of tolerance towards never being able to look at text the same way again. ( )
  NaleagDeco | Dec 13, 2020 |
Put a poet to write about typography and you've got Bringhurst. Will write more when I've finished it, currently posting books I'm reading...
  ketolus | Aug 7, 2017 |
Read this if you care at all about how your writing is presented, or how other peoples' writing is presented, or if you're interested in alphabets, or the history of printing, or how many different diacritics are used when writing Vietnamese with the Latin alphabet. ( )
  sben | Feb 11, 2014 |
Fascinating. Quite a lot to digest, especially for the amateur typographer, and doubly so for one working purely in reflowable digital text. Everyone I've mentioned this book to has assumed it to be about "fonts," but only a third or so of this book deals with issues connected to type face design and selection, even counting issues of kerning etc. A rich field well introduced. ( )
  llasram | Nov 9, 2010 |
[T]here can be no last word about typography and Bringhurst himself still has a lot more to say.
added by Katya0133 | editJournal of Scholarly Publishing, Richard Eckersley and Stephen Cox (Apr 1, 2000)

The author's prose is sometimes flowery, and some of his strongly expressed opinions are questionable. Nonetheless, there's a wealth of sound advice and instruction here.
added by Katya0133 | editLibrary Journal, Margarete Gross (Jan 1, 1997)

Bringhurst has created a work that deserves to become a classic in the field and belongs in any collection with an interest in the graphic arts.
added by Katya0133 | editLibrary Journal, Mark Woodhouse (Dec 15, 1992)

-- Everything written symbols can say has already passed by. They are like tracks left by animals. That is why the masters of meditation refuse to accept that writings are final. The aim is to reach true being by means of those tracks, those letters, those signs -- but reality itself is not a sign, and it leaves no tracks. It doesn't come to us by way of letters or words. We can go toward it, by following those words and letters back to what they came from. But so long as we are preoccupied with symbols, theories and opinions, we will fail to reach the principle.

-- But when we give up symbols and opinions, aren't we left in the utter nothingness of being?

Kimura Kyuho, Kenjutsu Fushigi Hen [On the Mysteries of Swordsmanship], 1768
A true revelation, it seems to me, will only emerge from stubborn concentration on a solitary problem. I am no in league with inventors or adventurers, nor with travellers to exotic destinations. The surest -- also the quickest -- way to awake the sense of wonder in ourselves is to looki intently, undeterred, at a single object. Suddenly, miraculously, it will reveal itself as something we have never seen before.

Cesare Pavese, Dialoghi con Leuco, 1947
for my colleagues & friends in the worlds of letters: writers & editors, type designers, typographers, printers & publishers, shepherding words and books on their lethal and innocent ways
Like oratory, music, dance, calligraphy—like anything that lends its grace to language—typography is an art that can be deliberately misused.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 163,155,205 books! | Top bar: Always visible