Pictures of Hollis Woods (2002)

by Patricia Reilly Giff

A troublesome twelve-year-old orphan, staying with an elderly artist who needs her, remembers the only other time she was happy in a foster home, with a family that truly seemed to care about her.
    The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd (rbtanger)
    The Great Gilly Hopkins by Katherine Paterson (Anonymous user)
    Ellen Foster by Kaye Gibbons (rbtanger)
    rbtanger: Although Ellen Foster was written with an adult audience in mind and Pictures of Hollis Woods was written for YA, the two books share a common theme as well as being beautifully written. The joy of Hope is central to both.
    Another Place at the Table by Kathy Harrison (meggyweg)
    My Louisiana Sky by Kimberly Willis Holt (meggyweg)
    Returnable Girl by Pamela Lowell (meggyweg)

ShanLand | Feb 28, 2022 |
This book has connected with me since I first read it when I was around 11-12. I am not an orphan. But for some reason, I felt like one. I connected with Hollis in a way that I haven't connected with characters in a long time. The story is pretty simple and straight forward. Hollis is a young girl (12) who has been an orphan her whole life. She was abandoned on a street called Hollis Woods. And grown up in foster care her whole life. She has been shuffled around countless times and thinks she is "always trouble for somebody." Hollis's talent is drawing. She is a fantastic artist for her age and even through her hard life, as long as she has paper and a pencil, she will be fine. The book goes back and forth through chapters entitled "Time with Josie" and different pictures she has drawn that mean a lot to her. The pictures represent flashbacks of a time over the summer where she lived with the Regan family. The Old Man, Izzie and their son, Steven. Hollis grows to love them over the summer and as time goes on they grow to love her as well. When they ask Hollis if they can adopt her, she thinks she finally has a family. She and Steven get in a car accident (Steven has a habit of taking his father's old truck without his permission) and Steven gets hurt pretty badly. Hollis thinks this is proof she is bad and leaves. She refuses to talk to them and won't go back to live with them, even once Steven is okay. Hence her time with Josie. She is currently living with an elderly woman and a painter named Josie. She has been a foster mother to a number of children and Hollis's social worker thought that the art thing would make them connect. It does, but Josie is getting early onset alzheimers. I won't go into too much more detail because I have already spoiled a lot, but Hollis is forced to confront the Regans and what is going on with Josie. For some reason, I really cannot name it, other than I felt like a lonely orphan looking for my family at the time, this is a special little book. ( )
  banrions | Dec 7, 2021 |
A troubled 12-year-old orphan stays with an elderly artist who needs her.
  BLTSbraille | Sep 27, 2021 |
Patricia Reilly Giff is one of my favorite middle grade authors. She is able to bring the past alive with engaging characters and fascinating stories. I find her very engaging and I thoroughly enjoy all her books. ( )
  KateKat11 | Sep 24, 2021 |
  lcslibrarian | Aug 13, 2020 |
Voor Alice Tiernan, die vaak in de Delaware-rivier gaat vissen;
en voor Bill Reilly, die altijd met haar meegaat.
For Alice Tiernan, who fishes in the Delaware River. And for Bill Reilly, who fishes with her
This picture has a dollop of peanut butter on one edge, a smear of grape jelly on the other, and X across the whole thing.

Follows the story of a Hollis Woods, who was a foster child and moves around a lot. She leaves a place she really likes then finds her way back.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,115,805 books! | Top bar: Always visible