The Smoke Jumper (2001)

by Nicholas Evans

Set against the backdrop of the American West and the wilds of Africa, The Smoke Jumper is an epic story of friendship, passion and honour that charts three people's quest for happiness and self-discovery. Evans is also the author of The Horse Whisperer.

English (20)  Dutch (2)  Spanish (1)  All languages (23)
His name is Connor Ford and he falls like an angel of mercy from the sky, braving the flames to save the woman he loves but knows he cannot have. For Julia Bishop is the partner of his best friend and fellow “smoke jumper,” Ed Tully. Julia loves them both--until a fiery tragedy on Montana’s Snake Mountain forces her to choose between them, and burns a brand on all their hearts.

In the wake of the fire, Connor embarks on a harrowing journey to the edge of human experience, traveling the world’s worst wars and disasters to take photographs that find him fame but never happiness. Reckless of a life he no longer wants, again and again he dares death to take him, until another fateful day on another continent, he must walk through fire once more...
  Gmomaj | Aug 24, 2020 |
Mixed response. The first section was interesting, because I learned about firefighting and each of the main characters had work they were passionate about. The romantic triangle was obvious, however. The second section was more staid, full of guilt and noble responsibility. The third section, mainly in Africa, was stretching plausibility quite a bit as the characters go through adventure to realize what has true value in their lives, and reunite. I did briefly enjoy the interchange of Connor with the Bantu guide, as it brought back memories of Laurens Van der Post's novels of the bushmen (and which may have been the inspiration for Evans here).
Running the Rift gave a more gut-level knowledge of an intertribal genocidal war in Africa.
Nothing in the book to motivate me to give it shelf space, but I'm not sorry I read it. ( )
  juniperSun | Sep 14, 2017 |
OK... Ammetto che, in parte questa è una storia d'amore e, dato che io proprio non le sopporto avrei dovuto "dare fuoco" al libro non appena mi è finito tra le mani.
Invece, però, mi sono convinta a leggerlo e ho scoperto che ha veramente poco delle storie d'amore che conosciamo tutto e che, dietro alle apparenze si nasconde qualcosa di veramente prezioso.
Ho letto questo libro un'infinità di volte (va beh, non proprio un'infinità ma saranno state almeno cinque o sei...!) e sento nuovamente il bisogno di prenderlo fra le mani e immergermi nuovamente nel mondo di Nicholas Evans, a volte, forse, un po' troppo dolce ma pieno di entusiasmo e di colpi di scena indimenticabili... ;) ( )
  Crissy8686 | Oct 6, 2016 |
I absolutely loved this book!!! It is now one of my favorites! This story is so good and heartbreaking and I was sorry to finish it. It's one of those books you read, then start another one and it just doesn't stack up to what you just read. It stays with you long after you've finished it. Would definitely recommend this book! ( )
  Tabatha014 | Mar 31, 2016 |
Three friends are connected by one summer’s events on a Montana mountain. Ed Tully and Connor Ford are smoke jumpers who both love the same woman. Julia is a social worker who is taking a group of “at risk” teens on a several day hike in the wilderness in an effort to rehabilitate them. When the draught-stricken forest is hit by lightning, the smoke jumpers have to come to the rescue.

You know where this is headed, don’t you? There will be tragedy, lots of guilt, miscommunication, silent (but very meaningful) looks. People behave stupidly and take unnecessary risks … not just with their own lives but with children’s lives. And of course, true love will win out.

Just unbelievable claptrap.

Actually I was pretty interested in the beginning and wish that Evans had found a way to explore the smoke jumpers, and the at-risk kids. But that ends on page 166 and then parts two and three get progressively more soap opera ridiculous. I rolled my eyes so much I made myself dizzy. ( )
  BookConcierge | Jan 13, 2016 |

Evans, NicholasAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Conger, EricNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
No man may earn his heart's desire
Lest first he brave the smoke and fire.
For Harry, Max and Lauren
The important things in life always happened by accident.

GenreThing

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 160,357,252 books! | Top bar: Always visible