Always Look on the Bright Side of Life: A…

Always Look on the Bright Side of Life: A Sortabiography (2018)

by Eric Idle, Eric Idle

"From the ingenious comic performer, founding member of Monty Python, and creator of Spamalot, comes an absurdly funny memoir of unparalleled wit and heartfelt candor"--

This is a pretty interesting book. Its really a professional memoir with a lot of emphasis on the people he has known and worked with. ( )
  grandpahobo | Sep 26, 2019 |
Most of the name dropping was wasted on me because I don't recognize the names. So I had to look them up online just to understand what was being said.

Always being funny must be terribly tiring. ( )
1 vote MarthaJeanne | Aug 24, 2019 |
I was disappointed. There are some great stories here, but a lot of name dropping filler that caused me to lose interest. I was amazed to hear about the three sided album that the Pythons put out. Also interested to hear how involved George Harrison was with the group. My favorite was a tale of Eric Idle pretending to be an Indian computer tech support person to fool Robin Williams on the phone. He really got him! It was hysterical! Fun to have him reading it himself. He did a few small bits of Monty Python skits in way no other reader could have duplicated. ( )
  njcur | Jun 29, 2019 |
As a disclosure, I must admit that I am not really familiar with Eric Idle’s work were with Monty Python. This was another book that I skimmed through, content to read Idle's experiences with George Harrison, Robin Williams, David Bowie and other stars and celebrities. Idle’s life, like mine, was marked by the early death of his father in his life. He did not have a remarkable childhood but he seemed a bit of a rogue and rebel as he moved into adulthood.

The tone of the book is light – – plenty of humor. My guess is that if you like Monty Python or Eric Idle that you will be thoroughly entertained by Idle’s story and stories. There is a part in the book we are he is describing John Cleese – – it is both very funny and very heartwarming.

I note that he married a beautiful playboy model and that the marriage is going strong for over 40 years. He seems to have had a good life…

P.S. I happened to see Idle on a recent addition of Bill Maher’s show and found him very witty. that’s why I picked up this book. ( )
1 vote writemoves | Jun 17, 2019 |
I'm of two minds about this book. On one side, it's a dull narrative of celebrity encounters. He tries to be humble about hanging out with rock stars like the Rolling Stones, the Star Wars cast, various Beatles, and all the various women and drugs he did and slept with.

On the other, it's Eric Idle, one of the leading Monty Pythons. A progenitor of modern humor. Is it witty? Intelligent? British? Charmingly droll? Most definitely.

I figure, unless you're a Monty Python fan, there isn't a lot you'll get out of this book. But you won't know who Eric Idle is unless you're a Monty Python fan anyway. So the question becomes, will you enjoy it if you are?

And the answer's yes. It's not a quick book, and there isn't much about Monty Python therein. It includes the origins and the aftermath though. And really, you've probably already seen all that Behind the Scenes already, so there's no need to repeat it. There sure is a lot about his relationship with the book's title. One could say it's partly about that famous song as much as its author. Ellie Kemper's biography was a little punchier, but not as much stuff in it. ( )
  theWallflower | Jun 4, 2019 |

Eric Idleprimary authorall editionscalculated
Idle, Ericmain authorall editionsconfirmed
For Tania, Carey and Lily
Graham Chapman once said: "Life is rather like a yacht in the Caribbean. It's alright if you've got one."
I was fairly funny at school, and humor is a good defense against bullying. It's hard to hit a smaller boy when you're laughing. I got used to dealing with gangs of males and getting on with life in unpleasant circumstances while being smart at the expense of authority. Perfect training for Python.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,951,446 books! | Top bar: Always visible