His Hideous Heart

by Dahlia Adler (Editor)

Other authors: Dahlia Adler (Contributor), Kendare Blake (Contributor), Rin Chupeco (Contributor), Lamar Giles (Contributor), Tessa Gratton (Contributor)8 more, Tiffany D. Jackson (Contributor), Stephanie Kuehn (Contributor), Emily Lloyd-Jones (Contributor), Amanda Lovelace (Contributor), Hillary Monahan (Contributor), Marieke Nijkamp (Contributor), Caleb Roehrig (Contributor), Fran Wilde (Contributor)

Thirteen of YA's most celebrated names reimagine Edgar Allan Poe's most surprising, unsettling, and popular tales for a new generation. Edgar Allan Poe may be a hundred and fifty years beyond this world, but the themes of his beloved works have much in common with modern young adult fiction. Whether the stories are familiar to readers or discovered for the first time, readers will revel in Edgar Allan Poe's classic tales, and how they've been brought to life in 13 unique and unforgettable ways. Contributors include Dahlia Adler (reimagining "Ligeia"), Kendare Blake ("Metzengerstein"), Rin Chupeco ("The Murders in the Rue Morgue"), Lamar Giles ("The Oval Portrait"), Tessa Gratton ("Annabel Lee"), Tiffany D. Jackson ("The Cask of Amontillado"), Stephanie Kuehn ("The Tell-Tale Heart"), Emily Lloyd-Jones ("The Purloined Letter"), amanda lovelace ("The Raven"), Hillary Monahan ("The Masque of the Red Death"), Marieke Nijkamp ("Hop-Frog"), Caleb Roehrig ("The Pit and the Pendulum"), and Fran Wilde ("The Fall of the House of Usher").… (more)

I really loved this collection of short stories. There was only one that I skipped because I don't like "blackout" poetry.

The characters in this book represent different races and there is good LGBTQ representation. Some of them were sad, most of them creepy, but they were all really good.

I gave this a four-star review because of the blackout poetry and because there was a short story that I had to refer to a dictionary at the end of the story to understand some of the terminologies. It seems that the author of this one tried to cram as many Filipino phrases into the first four pages as possible, then only used it here and there through the rest of the story. I think I would have liked it better if it had been scattered throughout more evenly.

The other thing I personally didn't like (but get why it is necessary) is the original Poe tales that the stories are based on are published in the back. I think I would have preferred more stories instead. the Poe tales are easily found and read online so I don't feel that I personally gained anything from having them in there. I get that they were added for people who were not as familiar with Poe. ( )
  oregongirl1985 | Apr 9, 2021 |
I've only ever read a few of Edgar Allen Poe's works so I appreciated that the book include the original tales at the end. Overall, I enjoyed most of the stories while I found others hard to care about. For the ones that I was able to get into, I enjoyed thoroughly. It's interesting to see these tales written into a more modern setting, so I think this will be a great way to introduce younger generations to Poe's work. And I definitely think that Poe fans will find an appreciation for the re-tellings. ( )
  genieinanovel | Sep 15, 2020 |
As the title mentions, these are 13 short stories that take those haunting Edgar Allen Poe tales and brings them back to life. Some were really good and I could easily understand how the original tale inspired it. Some, well, were lackluster. Annabel Lee is one of my favorite tales, but the retelling just fell flat for me. Same goes with the retelling for A Tell-Tale Heart, I just wanted a little more. I did appreciate though that the original stories were included in the back for refreshing my memory or to introduce the less than familiar tales. I just had high expectations for this book and was left wanting a little bit more in the end. ( )
  CJ82487 | Oct 29, 2019 |
Overall a 3.5 rating.

There were some gems in here, but very few. I particularly liked the offerings from Tiffany D. Jackson (though not much of a retelling than a rehashing with a spin), Amanda Lovelace, Hillary Monahan, Lamar Giles and Rin Chupeco. However, most of the other authors takes fell a bit flat. The most dissapointing being the retelling of The Tell Tale Heart. However it was overall enjoyable. I also got to re-read some of my favorites from Poe. ( )
  Jonez | Oct 24, 2019 |

Monahan, HillaryContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Nijkamp, MariekeContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Roehrig, CalebContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wilde, FranContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Dahlia Adler is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,765,067 books! | Top bar: Always visible