Mr. Darcy's Diary by Amanda Grange

Mr. Darcy's Diary (2007)

by Amanda Grange

Pride and Prejudice is the most popular romance of all time, and in this enjoyable retelling, Amanda Grange allows us to see the events of Jane Austen's famous novel from Mr Darcy's point of view. Scenes only hinted at in the original are here recorded in detail and brought to life as Darcy writes of his horror at discovering his sister's plans to elope with George Wickham, his efforts to separate Charles Bingley from Miss Jane Bennet and his disgust at having to arrange a marriage between George Wickham and Miss Lydia Bennet. But, most satisfying of all, he discloses his feelings for Elizabeth. Darcy's Diary records the full story of their courtship, from initial hostility to their eventual love, before revealing a tantalising glimpse of their early married life.… (more)

Amanda Grange is a great author and I feel this is a very well written retelling of Pride and Prejudice that makes you want to keep reading and not put the book down until you are done. If you don't love Mr. Darcy before you read this retelling you will by the end and if you do love him already you will love him even more! ( )
  Chelsea_K | May 28, 2019 |
I think if I did not like P&P so much I would have given this a two. I am not sure I quite like the diary format. I would have just preferred the storied been today from Mr. Darcy's point of view. The dairy format made the story very choppy especially in the beginning. I did not quite buy he complete loss of snobbery. I felt it was rushed and that some more understanding as to where it originated from and how he could so easily change his ways would have been useful. ( )
  MicrobeMom | Mar 23, 2018 |
I adore Mr. Darcy so I loved being able to go back through the original story but this time through Darcy's eyes. Swoon. ( )
  pennma05 | Jan 29, 2018 |
A Pride and Prejudice fan will enjoy reliving the classic love story of Jane Austen. Amanda Grange succeeded in weaving the perspective of Mr. Darcy but it's familiar that she used the exact phrases of the original. It was a little modernized, and more was added.

What I don't like is how Mr. Darcy seems to be a shallow person; like how he and his company, were highly educated, were talking about other people's lives specifically the family of the Bennets.

I think Mr. Darcy's cute when he was in agony of suspense whether Elizabeth will reciprocate what he feels.

This is my favorite: "I begin to see clearly why she refused me. And to see that, through my own pride, arrogance and folly, I have lost the woman I love." ( )
  phoibee | Apr 23, 2017 |
Being a P&P fan, I thought this was great. It meshed with the book and I believe the author sized up Mr. Darcy and Elizabeth very well. ( )
  ccindyy | Feb 3, 2016 |

Is a retelling of

Monday 1st July
Have I done the right thing in establishing Georgiana in London, I wonder?

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,577,750 books! | Top bar: Always visible