Roger Fry: A Biography by Virginia Woolf

Roger Fry: A Biography

by Virginia Woolf

Virginia Woolf's only true biography, written to commemorate a devoted friend and one of the most renowned art critics of this century, who helped to bring the Postimpressionist movement from France to England and America. Index; illustrations.

Virginia Woolf's only 'official' biography is not as successful as might be hoped. She was herself unconvinced of her suitability to write it but did it as a favour to his partner Helen Anrep. Her love of her friend however is very clear. ( )
  Chris_V | Jun 6, 2009 |
Less than compelling. I put down this book several times to read other things. At times Woolf's account of Fry's life and career is oddly cursory; his unfortunate wife's death is reduced to a footnote. Her perspective produces a loving, but objective, account of Fry's character, however, and brings out his attractive spontaneity and love of the new. But overall you feel the omissions more than the content. ( )
  catalpa | Jun 9, 2008 |
"I lived the first six years of my life in the small eighteenth-century house ant No. 6 The Grove, Highgate. This garden is still for me the imagined background for almost any garden scene that I read of in books" - thus Roger Fry began a fragment of autobiography.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,905,150 books! | Top bar: Always visible