The Silver Child by Cliff McNish

The Silver Child

by Cliff McNish

Series: The Silver Sequence (1)

1242148,673 (3.48)1 / 2
Drawn to a wasteland of garbage dumps called Coldharbour, six children undergo mysterious transformations and band together to face an unknown enemy.

Perfect for read-aloud in upper elementary or high school. In high school it could be used to compare with Kafka, which I highly recommend. For younger graders, one could compare it to the Neverending story in either book or movie form.
  hetrickm | Oct 4, 2010 |
From the perspectives of three children we learn how they meet up with three others when suddenly they all develop amazing powers that will help them defend Earth from an apocalyptic threat that will arrive in a subsequent book. This is extreme fantasy, which can be confusing, but the language is rich even if the characters are drawn a little boldly. The effect is the literary equivalent of the four-colour 17-page superhero comic books and although I loved those for many years I always prefered what we now call graphic novels. ( )
  TheoClarke | Dec 7, 2009 |

Cliff McNishprimary authorall editionscalculated
Taylor, GeoffIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,161,215 books! | Top bar: Always visible