My Life as a Diamond by Jenny Manzer

My Life as a Diamond

by Jenny Manzer

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I applaud this book's message, especially given the pushback against rights for transgender folks in some quarters. I do wish there was more depth and complexity to the writing, both on the baseball end (the critical game lurches from being totally awful to being totally awesome, which can happen but feels a little forced here) and on the interpersonal end (same). It'd be interesting to see if transgender readers felt this was true to their experiences; the author herself is cis, and while she has done research it's not clear if she had talked to transgender kids during that process, or had more than one transgender kid review the story before publication. ( )
  bostonian71 | Oct 6, 2018 |
Review by my 12 year-old son:

In my opinion, the book, "My Life as a Diamond" was a wonderful title. I thoroughly enjoyed this selection, and I would gladly recommend this book to another person. I really enjoyed how the author balanced the fine line between a story of passion, and sadness, with a story of sport, and valor. This is no small feat, finding this so called 'happy medium' in which the reader can delve into. The plot in this story was very simple, so simple that you could summarize the book by saying, " someone played sports". But the complex backstory, the amazing theme of friendship, and just the idea that you could be whatever you wanted to be turned a book with a normal, simple plot into so much more. The amazing writing of this book is something to be proud of. I would gladly read this book again, it is just so wonderful. I will share this book with my associates, with the hope that they will read it, and have similar feelings about this book. This book is just perfect.
  zhejw | Sep 13, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
My Life as a Diamond is a nice little book. I think it would be a really nice story for young people. Personally I do believe this topic, along with many others, should be introduced to
young people, it helps them understand how we're all different and might help them feel better about themselves or friends of theirs. I really like the way it's framed around
baseball. Most stories like this I'm aware of deal with MTF, very few comparatively deal with FTM. For you people, this is a really nice little intro to the other side of things.
Recommended. ( )
  Mantra | Aug 24, 2018 |
  fumin | Aug 14, 2018 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book is primarily a baseball book featuring a transgender child as the lead character. The transgender arc of the story is superficial but it doesn't ignore the adversity facing this child.
There is a specific audience for this book - baseball fans and those looking for just a cursory introduction to the life of a transgender child. With a couple of exceptions the characters lack depth. The exceptions being Nana and Kyle, the bully of the story. ( )
  geraldinefm | Aug 2, 2018 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Jenny Manzer's book My Life as a Diamond is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 131,846,223 books! | Top bar: Always visible