Egypt, Greece and Rome: Civilizations of the…

Egypt, Greece and Rome: Civilizations of the Ancient Mediterranean

by Charles Freeman

492233,447 (4)6
Egypt, Greece, and Rome is regarded as one of the best general histories of the ancient world. It is written for the general reader and the student coming to the subject for the first time and provides a reliable and highly accessible point of entry to the period.Beginning with the early Middle Eastern civilizations of Sumer, and continuing right through to the Islamic invasions and the birth of modern Europe after the collapse of the Roman empire, the book ranges beyond political history to cover art and architecture, philosophy, literature, society, andeconomy. A wide range of maps, illustrations, and photographs complements the text.This third edition has been extensively revised to appeal to the general reader with several chapters completely rewritten and a great deal of new material added, including a new selection of images.It has sold more than 80,000 copies in its first two editions.… (more)

I started this book when I was in college and made a determined effort to finish it as part of a New Year's resolution. It is a long book with small print covering 4,000 B.C. to 640ish A.D. and has to be the most comprehensive history of the three civilizations ever written.

Freeman covers everything from governments & conquests, to literature and pottery, economic life, cultural & religious life, and the enduring impact these civilizations have on society today. There are plenty of aside chapters on philosophers and artisans, architecture, etc. I feel there are very few details he leaves out. Whether you're interested in specific battles or historical figures, you'll find plenty of info and further recommended readings in the back. A comprehensive timeline is also included and plenty of maps.

In the closing chapters there is a history of the rise of Christianity. It's interesting to read from a secular perspective and I appreciate how little I know about the early church and the development of the major manifestations of the Christian religious orders.

I give this book 5 stars out of 5. I am now glad to move down the list of other dusty books on my shelves asking to be read. ( )
  justindtapp | Jun 3, 2015 |
Good overview of the three major civilizations of the ancient world. Freeman does a good job of spanning a wide swath of history in a way that captures enough detail to give the reader a solid grasp of the history but no so much that he gets bogged down. ( )
  Jthierer | Oct 13, 2009 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 142,562,830 books! | Top bar: Always visible