HomeGroupsTalkExplore

The Vampire Knitting Club

by Nancy Warren

At a crossroads between a cringe-worthy past (Todd the Toad) and an uncertain future (she's not exactly homeless, but it's close), Lucy Swift travels to Oxford to visit her grandmother. With Gran's undying love to count on and Cardinal Woolsey's, Gran's knitting shop, to keep her busy, Lucy can catch her breath and figure out what she's going to do.Except it turns out that Gran is the undying. Or at least, the undead. But there's a death certificate. And a will, leaving the knitting shop to Lucy. And a lot of people going in and out who never use the door-including Gran, who is just as loving as ever, and prone to knitting sweaters at warp speed, late at night. What exactly is going on?When Lucy discovers that Gran did not die peacefully in her sleep, but was murdered, she has to bring the killer to justice without tipping off the law that there's no body in the grave. Between a hot 500-year-old vampire and a dishy detective inspector, both of whom always seem to be there for her, Lucy finds her life getting more complicated than a triple cable cardigan. The only one who seems to know what's going on is her cat . . . or is it . . . her familiar?… (more)

Vampire Knitting Club Cornwall 1
  SueJBeard | Jan 8, 2023 |
Vampire Knitting Club Book 1
  SueJBeard | Jan 8, 2023 |
Definitely "A Discovery of Witches" fanfic, except that Lucy (the MC) doesn't know that vampires and witches exist, which makes the book frustrating because she misses all the clues about what is actually going on with her grandmother. Gave me flashbacks to one of my issues with "The Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires:" the title gave it away. I stopped because Lucy had just attempted to use her powers, was successful, and was trying rationalize why it hadn't worked with the evidence literally in her hands.

I wish this had leaned into the cozy fantasy genre a little more and not the mystery. ( )
  Bodagirl | Dec 22, 2022 |
This was fine, with the caveats that you have to be fine with very light reading that just tacks ideas together (I know it's the whole premise of these cozy mystery genres, I just haven't read enough of them to get in the right mindset immediately). So situations that I kept expecting would end horribly or in crippling embarrassment for all involved ended just fine because most of the characters are fundamentally decent people, which is very nice.

Another thing I had to get used to was the descriptions of knitting. Houston doesn't really have a knitting community so I do most of my work solo, with the help of Youtube tutorials and an occasional cry for help on Ravelry or /r/knitting when I get stuck. I don't talk technique, so I've just taken a view of knitting all my own that I don't really have to explain to other people. For me it's largely programmatic - some setup, some teardown, and a do-while loop in the middle. And they're "stitches," not "loops" (I mean, of course knitting is all loops hooked into each other, and understanding that is kind of vital to understanding knitting as a whole, but it kind of feels like stepping back to fourth grade history as an adult).

Anyway, the knitting terminology kind of threw me off. I think Warren isn't a knitter herself, but appreciates the craft of it. That's fine, I just think I would have preferred a more advanced view from a series with a knitting club as main or at least supporting characters. Maybe Lucy will learn to knit later in the series.

Anyway, the mystery itself wasn't that difficult, but it resolved nicely enough. I don't know what I think about the incipient love triangle, but I'm guessing it's another staple of the genre.

For a short book, for a dollar, this was a fine read. I may pick up more books in the series later if I feel the need for quick, happy reading. ( )
  Tikimoof | Feb 17, 2022 |
The Vampire Knitting Club is exactly what you expect from the title: a paranormal cozy mystery featuring vampires, a witch and a lot of knitting. Lucy Swift is on her way to visit her grandmother in Oxford. Gran owns a knitting shop, the Cardinal Woolsey, and has a little apartment above the store where Lucy hopes to stay for a few days. Finding the store unexpectedly closed, Lucy heads to a neighboring shop where she finds out that her Gran is... dead? How is that possible? And why has she seen someone who looks a lot like her Gran walking outside the shop?

This is a fluffy and fun start to a paranormal cozy mystery series. The story pretty straight forward and goes where you expect based on the title. Lucy is likeable enough. Besides, who wouldn't want an adorable magical kitten familiar as their familiar? There is also knitting references that I did not get at all due to me not being a knitter. That aside, it made for a light and easy afternoon read. I'll likely give the second book a try before making a decision around finishing the whole series. ( )
  Narilka | Dec 22, 2021 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,951,810 books! | Top bar: Always visible