Slow Ride by Lori Foster

Slow Ride

by Lori Foster

407443,009 (4)None
You can't put the brakes on love... Ronnie Ashford needs a distraction. In the morning, she has to offer arrogant, conventional Jack Crews a job and convince him not to take it. She doesn't need anyone's help, thank you very much. But tonight is all about the tall, sexy stranger who just walked in the bar?and all the delicious trouble they could get into together. Too bad just as things are heating up between them, he whispers the three little words that destroy everything: "I'm Jack Crews." Jack is determined to connect with fiery Ronnie?in bed and out of it?but her terms are clear. If he takes the job, helping her acquire prized artifacts for her mysterious bosses, anything between them is strictly off-limits. Somehow he has to convince a woman who's never felt like she belonged that she's found her place?with him. And with the danger sparking hotter than the fire between them, it's going to be one unforgettable trip...… (more)

Slow Ride is everything its predecessor, Driven to Distraction, isn’t. Ronnie Ashford and Jack Crew have a hilarious meet-cute and I’m all over this pairing like a wine connoisseur over a 1999 Château LaTour Pauillac (I totally googled that, a bottle recently auctioned for £330/$427 so ‘sgood). Ronnie doesn’t do commitments, no dating, no relationships, no friendships, no attachments whatsoever, just her job, even her apartment is ready to leave at a moment’s notice. She has some trauma in her past that makes her abrasive and standoffish. Then we have Jack who’s already renovating a house and does favours for his old school teacher and has so many community ties, he’s a walking Gordian Knot. But boy-meets-girl and slowly but surely, things fall into place. With suspense and a teensy mystery tossed in for flavour. And it does have flavour. The bad guy du jour, North Runde, skeeves me out. My first thought was literally, and I’m quoting from my notes here, “fudging serial killer obsessed with Ronnie”. The vibes coming off this guy made me glad Ronnie and I are of the same mind, never go anywhere without a knife. I’m a fan of Ronnie’s bosses, gothic twins Drake and Drew, and Ronnie is definitely my favourite character in this one. She’s stereotype edgy but I adore her because Lori doesn’t usually write characters like Ronnie and it shows that she’s expanding her character types. Yay!
I had a couple things I wasn't fond of in Slow Ride. I'm just going to get this out of the way. I keep calling the book Slow to Ride and that is a totally different connotation, don't you think? Jack's internal dialogue could be a bit, well, objectifying towards Ronnie. The cringey part that got me was post-"trust has been established" sex, he's lying there with her and thinking "He felt like he'd just solved a difficult puzzle, conquered a nation, scored first prize." Cringe! It was irksome to read. And yes, I did spend a good ten minutes venting about this scene while I was reading.

I want to put some content warnings in here for y’all. (on site this is hidden by a lovely button) We have unsolicited sexual harassment towards our hero (because sexual harassment isn’t okay no matter the gender), and “mild” animal abuse (all animal abuse is severe in my book but this is quickly abated by our hero and heroine and the animal is 100% unharmed and safe). There is also kidnapping and slightly descriptive talk of murder in here. Oh, and a stabbing scene. And gun violence.
Overall, I'm giving Slow Ride 4 stars and 4 flames because this is the Lori Foster I know and love. I highly encourage y'all to go find yourselves a copy if you're into respectful alpha men, mustang cars, weird collectors, and goofy dogs.

This has been a review from Once Upon a Time, I Read a Book (dot-com), for more of my reviews and funky content, come visit my site! ( )
  OUATIReadABook | Dec 2, 2019 |
Ronnie Ashford is hiding a lot of pain and has trouble sleeping. She walks into a bar one night with the intent of seducing someone. History has proved to her that this helps her to escape her demons. She finds the perfect candidate and things seem like a go until she hears someone call out his name. It is Jack Crews and Ronnie is in town to utilize the services of his transport company. She only wanted one night, and if she would be working with him, then that certainly could not happen.

Jack was enthralled, but now it seems as if it will be strictly business between him and the sexy bombshell. She makes it clear that nothing at all will happen between them. Ronnie really needs the business that is owned by Jack and his brother. Her “collections “are often quite odd and sometimes the circumstances can be very dangerous.

Meanwhile, Ronnie has had a very tough past and this is where the true conflict and even a strong element of danger enters the story. So, not only is there a sizzling romance to be enjoyed, there is a mystery that is part of the scenario. Also, we get to see Howler again, Jack’s brother Brodie’s dog. I loved Howler in the first book, Driven to Distraction. He was important then and is just as much now. Indeed, the scenes with Howler made me smile.

I loved this book and am enjoying this Road to Love series by Lori Foster. As a matter of fact, I love all of her wok and have read dozens of them over the years. Although part of a series, Slow Ride does well as a standalone.

Many thanks for this ARC to review. This is my honest opinion. ( )
  RobinLovesReading | Oct 25, 2019 |
Ronnie is prickly and abrupt but as her story unfolds the more endearing she becomes. Ronnie meets Jack when her employers send her to hire Jack to travel with her on her assignments. She tries to run him off but fails miserably. The heat between these two is off the charts and I fell in love with Jack from the beginning. This story has an animal rescue, cute, funny animals, rotten family on Ronnie's side, strange employers and a serial killer.

While I enjoyed this story at times all the different elements seemed too much.

This is a ARC copy I received through NetGalley. At the time of my reading there were a few electronic editing issues, I'm assuming will be fixed by publication.
  wyldheartreads | Jun 20, 2019 |
Slow Ride by Lori Foster
Road to Love #2

Mustang Transporters my be a bit tamer than the movie with Jason Statham in it but it is based on the idea of someone going to pick up and deliver items. In this book there are twins who collect rather unusual items for a collection they keep in their basement and Ronnie Ashford is their go-fer. When Ronnie meets trouble one day the twins decide she needs some muscle by her side so hire Jack Crews to be that muscle and driver on pickup and delivery. Ronnie is NOT thrilled with having a minder and for quite awhile tries to shake Jack off...but over time...that all changes and a romance brews. Throw in a bit of suspense with a bad guy out to add to his personal even MORE creepy collection and you have an interesting story with trust won, family defined, suspense and some hot romance. The next book in the series will be that of Charlotte and an a half brother of Jack and Brodie who comes to visit...or so says the end of this book.

Did I like this book? Yes
Do I want to read the next book in the series? Yes
Was this book significantly different from the first in the series? Very similar
What did I find charming? Well, Jack and Brodie but also Howler and Peanut...they almost stole the show!

Thank you to NetGalley, HQN and the author for the ARC – This is my honest review.

4 Stars ( )
  CathyGeha | Mar 12, 2019 |
Good second installment in the Road to Love series. This one is about Jack, brother to Driven to Distraction's Brodie. Jack is the face of their business, Mustang Transport Courier Service, as he presents a more refined persona than Brodie does. Where Brodie is blunt and occasionally on the raunchy side, Jack tends to be calm and polite to just about everyone. Both men are drop-dead gorgeous, protective, and bad-ass when they need to be.

Ronnie was in town to meet with the man her employers wanted to hire as her driver when she purchased items for their collections. She didn't want the help. Over the years Ronnie learned that the only person she could depend on was herself. She planned to offer him the job, but convince him not to take it. In the meantime, she wanted a distraction, and the sexy guy who walked into the bar was just what she was looking for.

The chemistry between Jack and Ronnie was combustible from the very beginning. Ronnie knew she wanted him as soon as she saw him, and Jack was right there with her. That first meeting was intense but also funny. Ronnie made her desire very clear and was in a rush to make it happen. Jack was just as attracted, but he was also somewhat amused by her intensity. He got a kick out of throwing a delay in the works by insisting on eating his meal first. But once he finished, he planned to enjoy himself. The sparks flew between them until he happened to mention his name, at which point Ronnie threw on the brakes. If they were going to work together, there would be no hanky-panky.

I loved the development of the relationship between Jack and Ronnie. Jack was determined to get her into his bed, but he also saw that he would have to get past her walls first. Spending so much time together to collect the items for her bosses gave them time to get to know each other and for Jack to show Ronnie that she could trust him. I loved his patience and his ability to put Ronnie at ease, making it easier for her to open up about herself. Her prickliness and independence fascinated Jack and no matter what she did to try to push him away, Jack would not budge. I loved how easily he saw past that façade to the woman underneath, and how much he liked her. Ronnie worked hard to keep Jack at an emotional distance, but his clear respect for her and her abilities went a long way toward getting past her walls. She also had some serious self-esteem issues making it difficult for her to believe that he truly wanted her just as she is. The chemistry between Ronnie and Jack was intense. I loved watching the tension between them build until they could no longer hold back. One of the best things was seeing the always- in-control-of-himself Jack lose it when he was with Ronnie. The connection between them went much deeper than either expected it to. Jack accepted it first and became intent on showing Ronnie that they belonged together. She was a tough nut to crack, intent as she was in protecting her heart from further pain. I loved their big moment at the end, as Ronnie finally believed that Jack's love wasn't going anywhere.

I liked the suspense in this story better than the previous one, as it seemed more intense. Some disturbing occurrences were what drove Ronnie's bosses to insist on her hiring Jack as a driver/bodyguard. Ronnie wasn't convinced that she was in real danger at first, but escalating events finally made her see reason. I loved Jack's protectiveness, and even Ronnie eventually had to admit that she felt safer with him. The occasional part told from the bad guy's point of view made the danger Ronnie was in practically ooze off the page. The final confrontation was truly frightening for both Ronnie and Jack. I loved Ronnie's presence of mind and her contribution to her rescue. I ached for Jack who was afraid that he would lose her. That confrontation had me on the edge of my seat until it was over.

The secondary characters are fantastic. Ronnie's bosses just seem weird at the beginning, and more interested in their odd acquisitions than in Ronnie's safety. But the more I saw of them, the more I liked them. It was also clear by the end that they cared for Ronnie and thought of her as family. As far as families go, Ronnie's was horrible. I hated the things that they did (and didn't do) to her. Jack's family, on the other hand, was wonderful. I loved their closeness and their support of each other. There was also a lot of teasing that went on, and it was fun to watch Ronnie's reactions when she was around them. I also adored the way that Jack's mom, plus Charlotte and Mary, mad Ronnie one of them so easily. The makeup session part was hysterical, and I loved seeing Jack and Brodie trip all over themselves trying to recover from stupid comments. I can't wait to read Charlotte's book. But my favorites had to be Howler and Peanut. I loved that mutt in the previous book, and he continued to make me smile and laugh in this one. Peanut was the kitten that Jack and Ronnie rescued and who wormed his way into both their hearts. I loved the parts of Howler and Peanut together and the image of that big dog taking care of a tiny kitten. ( )
  scoutmomskf | Mar 9, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,625,235 books! | Top bar: Always visible