dismiss

Flying Too High (1990)

by Kerry Greenwood

Series: Phryne Fisher (2)

Walking the wings of a Tiger Moth plane in full flight ought to be enough excitement for most people, but not Phryne Fisher, amateur detective, woman of mystery, as delectable as the finest chocolate and as sharp as razor blades. In this, the second Phryne Fisher mystery, the 1920s' most talented and glamorous detective flies even higher, handling a murder, a kidnapping and the usual array of beautiful young men with style and consummate ease - and all before it's time to adjourn to the Queenscliff Hotel for breakfast. Whether she's flying planes, clearing a friend of homicide charges or saving a child from kidnapping, she handles everything with the same dash and elan with which she drives her red Hispano-Suiza.… (more)

English (60)  Catalan (1)  All languages (61)
*2.5 ( )
  Fortunesdearest | Oct 23, 2022 |
Phryne Fisher is hired by an acquaintance to try and talk down a son from his apparent plans to murder his overbearing father. However, when the father is found dead the day afterwards, Phryne must now prove the son didn't commit the crime. At the same time, a young girl is snatched off the street by parties unknown and Phryne is asked to provide her services in that case as well.

A solid second entry in the Phryne Fisher. Greenwood does an excellent job of conjuring late 1920s Australia and Phryne is a delight as both a stylish flapper and a competent private detective. I loved the characters established in this book with her new household staff and while I deduced the solution to the mystery of the novel (the kidnapping isn't so much a mystery as an escapade that's also there), it didn't reduce my enjoyment of the novel. I'll definitely be spending more time with Phryne in the future. ( )
  MickyFine | Oct 14, 2022 |
Phryne Fisher is back in Flying to High, the sequel to Cocaine Blues. In this book, she has to help a man accused of murdering his father, rescue a kidnapped child and of course, seduce some men.

I didn't find this book as good as the first one. I like Phryne Fisher, she's a great character, but the story in this book wasn't as captivating as it was in the first book. I found myself doing other things so even though the book wasn't that thick did it take me a while to finish it. Also, all this seducing of men, I find it a little bit boring. Fine she likes sex, but come on, is this what's going to happen in every book? 1-2 cases in every book and some sex scenes, then it's going to be a bit repetitive.

But the biggest problem I had with the book was there was too darn little Inspector Jack Robinson. Yes I know, he's not the star of the book and I can't compare the book series with the TV-series (but I do it anyway). But he was hardly in this book and that made me not a happy camper. ( )
  MaraBlaise | Jul 23, 2022 |
Flying Too High - Greenwood
Audio performance by Stephanie Daniel
3 stars

Somehow I missed this book as I read through this series. It’s the second book, and shorter than most of the later books. Phryne takes on two cases as she begins her detective career. She moves quickly to rescue the missing child and solves the mystery of an apparent murder. Some of my favorite characters are missing from this early book, but there’s great detail in description of classic cars and airplanes. ( )
  msjudy | May 1, 2022 |
While Phryne Fisher is moving from the Windsor Hotel to her new house, she is involved in solving a murder, with the help of Bert and Cec.

Then she is contacted by a fellow pilot about the kidnapping of a child. She plans the rescue and is on hand to save the child.

I like this series. Phryne Fisher is a feminist in 1920s Australia. She has the daring of any man, the taste of the refined, and is a friend to anyone who needs help. She is supported by a great cast of characters. ( )
  Bettesbooks | Mar 28, 2021 |

Kerry Greenwoodprimary authorall editionscalculated
Daniel, StephanieNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Norling, BethCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Flying too high with some girl in the sky
Is my idea of nothing to do
But I get a kick out of you
'I get a kick out of you', Cole Porter
To David Lewis John Greagg
My own dear darling
Candida Alice Maldon was being a bad girl.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 179,984,153 books! | Top bar: Always visible