The Cockroaches of Stay More by Donald…

The Cockroaches of Stay More

by Donald Harington

Hah!

The cockroaches of Stay More are the main characters, taking on the names of the humans. Set later on in the timeline of Stay More, Latha's granddaughter, Sharon, is present.

Religion, social and economic status, family, and my favorite line involved a jab at racism ('she'll see him because he's white!'). All performed by cockroaches! There's play with language and tenses.

Lord, again with the incest.

The very last word...it spun me about from smilingly coasting to the completion of a story into sadness.

Oh man, as I was reading this, I was struck by the fact that Harington was writing about himself, in this and all his other books. His author blurb notes that he became deaf at 12 due to a bout of something-coccus meningitis. The hero in this book is a deaf cockroach...and I wonder how else they are similar to each other. Looking back, the lost little boy in love with the postmistress, who became an academic whose soul was slowly being crushed, and my god! maybe even the Boston curator who returned to the Ozarks? I wonder to what extext these books about Stay More are autobiographical. ( )
  EhEh | Apr 3, 2013 |
Told from the point of view of the cockroaches! Cockroach culture as imagined by Harington is fantastic and hilarious. Excellent read. ( )
  kylekatz | Nov 9, 2010 |
Breathtakingly irreverent and laugh out loud funny in that wonderful tall tale sort of way. Particularly of interest to people with a bone to pick with Christianity, but not mean spirited. The cockroach characters mirror their human Stay More neighbors... so it stands alone but does improve with more context from the other books. Definitely recommended. ( )
  woctune | Oct 26, 2005 |
For my daughters: Jennifer, Calico, and Katy, and my stepson Mickel, who never heard a bedtime story like this one.
One time not too long ago on a beginning of night in the latter part of May, a middle-aged gent was walking homeward along the forest path from Roamin Road to the village of carlott, behind Holy House in the valley of Stainmoor or Stay More.

Readers of Harrington's previous installments of the Stay More saga will recognize the old familiar stomping ground. But the stompers this time are insectile.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:05 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,549,955 books! | Top bar: Always visible