dismiss

Queenie Malone's Paradise Hotel by Ruth…

Queenie Malone's Paradise Hotel

by Ruth Hogan

From the wildly popular bestselling author of The Keeper of Lost Things comes an uplifting novel of mothers and daughters, families and secrets and the astonishing power of friendship. 'As lovely as a burst of bright bluebells' Sunday Express 'Technicolour' Daily Mail 'A moving exploration of the complex relationship between mothers and daughters' Observer 'A poignant tale of love and family' Good Housekeeping 'Enchanting . . . divine' Prima 'Beautifully written - astute and funny' Daily Express 'This book really shines . . . laugh-out-loud funny' Stylist Tilly was a bright, outgoing little girl who liked playing with ghosts and matches. She loved fizzy drinks, swear words, fish fingers and Catholic churches, but most of all she loved living in Brighton in Queenie Malone's magnificent Paradise Hotel with its endearing and loving family of misfits. But Tilly's childhood was shattered when her mother sent her away from the only home she'd ever loved to boarding school with little explanation and no warning. Now an adult, Tilda has grown into an independent woman still damaged by her mother's unaccountable cruelty. Wary of people, her only friend is her dog, Eli. But when her mother dies, Tilda returns to Brighton and with the help of her beloved Queenie sets about unravelling the mystery of her exile from The Paradise Hotel, only to discover that her mother was not the woman she thought she knew at all ... Mothers and daughters ... their story can be complicated ... but it can also turn out to have a happy ending. 'A tender tale' Woman & Home 'Absorbing, tender and heartfelt' Mike Gayle, author of The Man I Think I Know 'Her best novel yet' Hannah Beckerman, author of If Only I Could Tell You 'Exuberant and full of zest' Nina Pottell… (more)

I tried reading this author's prior novel, The Wisdom of Sally Red Shoes. It was a no go for me. I tried several times and found myself not engaged in the story or the characters. However, after reading this book, I will pick up the prior novel again and give it another chance.

As I got to know Tilly and the childhood she had; I am glad she had people like Queenie and others in her life. Not to say that her parents were bad. Tilly loved and adored her father but as she read her mother's diary, she came to learn that her mother truly loved her with all her heart the best way she could. Queenie Malone's Paradise Hotel is a sweet, enjoyable read.

Last parting words "Tell your loved ones you love them often and loudly. Don't assume they know you love them" Sometimes all it takes is three simple words to make someone's day better. ( )
  Cherylk | Mar 31, 2020 |
The story is told in two voices. Tilly’s is bright and clear, fun and sad and completely defined. Tilda’s is wrapped in cotton wool, vague and dispirited, bleak and narrow. They are one and the same person. This is a book that I didn’t run back to. I hesitated each time I went to pick it up. I am not sure why - maybe trying to shred the gauze and cobwebs was just too much work. And yet I did like it all - just not sure of the emotions and reactions it evoked. And then I expelled a huge sigh.

Once again Ruth Hogan has plumbed the depths of familial relationships and presented the reader with interpretative choices. Can you blame a Mother or Father for loving too much even when it might be a destructive love? I have no good answers. And then I expelled another huge sigh. ( )
  kimkimkim | Feb 8, 2020 |
It took me a while to match the child and adult Tilly, this spoiled it for me somewhat. Other than that I really enjoyed it, especially the childhood sections ( )
  karenshann | Dec 31, 2019 |
When her mother dies, Tilda is forced to return to Brighton and confront her past. Feeling herself unloved by her mother and abandoned by her father young Tilly takes solace in her imaginary dog and the people she sees who may or may not be real. Finding her mother's diaries Tilda discovers secrets about her past but also manages to move forward in the present.
There is much to like about this book, Hogan has a warm and inviting style which makes the story an enveloping and pleasant experience. However I found it a little too muddled, there were just too many ideas which confused me. ( )
  pluckedhighbrow | Mar 31, 2019 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Ruth Hogan's book Queenie Malone's Paradise Hotel is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 143,842,892 books! | Top bar: Always visible