The Beautiful

by Renée Ahdieh

Instant New York Times and Indie Bestseller! New York Times bestselling author Renée Ahdieh returns with a sumptuous, sultry and romantic new series set in 19th century New Orleans where vampires hide in plain sight. In 1872, New Orleans is a city ruled by the dead. But to seventeen-year-old Celine Rousseau, New Orleans is a safe haven after she's forced to flee her life as a dressmaker in Paris. Taken in by the sisters of the Ursuline convent in the middle of the carnival season, Celine is quickly enraptured by the vibrant city, from its music to its fancy soirées and even its danger. She becomes embroiled in the city's glitzy underworld, known as La Cour des Lions, after catching the eye of the group's enigmatic leader, Sébastien Saint Germain. When the body of one of the girls from the convent is found in Sébastien's own lair--the second dead girl to turn up in recent weeks--Celine battles her attraction to Sébastien and suspicions about his guilt along with the shame of her own horrible secret. After a third murder, New Orleans becomes gripped by the terror of a serial killer on the loose--one who has now set Celine in his sights. As the murderer stalks her, Celine finally takes matters into her own hands, only to find herself caught in the midst of an age-old feud between the darkest creatures of the night, where the price of forbidden love is her life. At once a sultry romance and a decadent, thrilling mystery, master storyteller Renée Ahdieh embarks on her most potent fantasy series yet.… (more)

This book is so amazing. I borrowed it from the library, and then I immediately bought it the day after I finished it along with two of the author’s other books. I absolutely loved the writing style. She brought the setting to life. The details were vivid. I could hear, see, taste, smell and feel like everything. I also loved the characters. They were interesting and dynamic. I’m super hyped about the sequel being released this year, and I can’t wait to read every single one of her books. ( )
  TimeLord10SPW | Nov 30, 2022 |
3 1/2 ( )
  liltastypuff | Sep 12, 2022 |
The cover initially drew me to this novel. The description and first couple of pages got me hooked. 1872, New Orleans is where the story begins. Celine is our heroine, running away from her past and starting a new life in the Crescent City. Her first few days in the city are anything but smooth - she runs into some seedy characters all why trying to figure out what’s real and not real. She doubts what she sees but soon starts to figure things out. Two of my favorite quotes within the book are “it always ends in blood” and “I want you to answer my goddamn questions!” I couldn’t put this book down - it has drama, extravagant lifestyle, New Orleans, blood, non beings, and mystery at every corner. The sequel comes out in June of 2020 but I will be re-reading this way before that. I won’t be able to stop raving about this book for a really long time! ( )
  dabutkus | Sep 4, 2022 |
So once again, I read a book only to discover that it's the first in a series and now I have to get the rest of the series. I really enjoyed this one. The lovers were obviously a perfect match, so the ending is super frustrating. We need book two to put things to rights, but what will be right is no longer quite so clear. One possibility was cut off, so is the direction now inevitable? ( )
  the1butterfly | Feb 21, 2022 |
Loved how detailed the author was with descriptions, especially the dresses, but it was hard to keep track of all the characters. I may try reading the book versus listening (Audio). One character the narrator read, the murderer, was irritating to listen to with they way she read the book: A long, slow accent with a heavy whistling S's...like a ssssleepy ssssnake. It was sssso annoying. I almost stopped listening to the book because of it, but just lowered the volume on those chapters. Bastian was my favorite, Celine my least favorite. Other than that, the book was Ok. I'm not sure if I will listen/read the rest of the series...We sssshall ssssee. ( )
  RMPS | Feb 12, 2022 |

Belongs to Series

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 180,128,039 books! | Top bar: Always visible