The Old Fox Deceiv'd by Martha Grimes

The Old Fox Deceiv'd (1982)

by Martha Grimes

Series: Richard Jury (2)

: law-enforcement, british, murder-investigation, friendship

I first began this series in 1994! Guess that makes these historical? ! Well, they're fun and thought provoking and interesting all the same. The friendships, idiot relatives, odd circumstances, and unusual sleuthing make this a keeper.
Steve West does a marvelous job as narrator. ( )
  jetangen4571 | Apr 28, 2018 |
Who was killed in Rackmoor on Twelfth Night? Was it Gemma Temple or Dillys March, Colonel Titus Crael's missing ward who left the manor house 15 years before?

Inspector Richard Jury is called to the scene of the heinous crime to discover who the guilty party is and what secrets the residents of Rackmoor are hiding. Melrose Plant, ex-lord of Ardry Manor arrives at the invitation of Colonel Crael for the hunt and finds himself enmeshed in murder and working once again with Inspector Jury to solve the crime.

Engrossing, entertaining, well written and delightful, through and through. ( )
  phoenixcomet | Jul 20, 2017 |
Enjoyable read. ( )
  CatsandCherryPie | Apr 26, 2016 |
Second in the Richard Jury series, originally published in the early 1980s. A costumed visitor to a remote fishing village is murdered while ascending steep outdoor stairs on Twelfth Night. To find the murderer, Jury, his sergeant Alfred Wiggins, and friend Melrose Plant must untangle the multiple hidden secrets and shames that explain the recent history of the community. The characters are all distinct and memorable, including a precocious 12 year old who appears to have been abandoned by his ne'er do well mother, an echo of the book's larger themes. Jury's latent depression gives the story depth, while Plant lightens the plot with droll humor. There's also something oddly skew about the main characters that makes the story especially appealing. ( )
  bezoar44 | Jun 30, 2014 |
It's a nice little mystery. I can't find too much to say about it. I enjoyed reading it but I didn't feel like I had to go find the rest of the series. If I happen upon them I will read them but I won't go out of my way. This has the prerequisite plot twists and red herrings and the whole whodunit thing going and it manages to throw in some humor. Not laugh out loud humor, but little smile humor. The characters are interesting enough that you wouldn't mind seeing them again. It doesn't exactly read quickly but it doesn't bog down nor is it so light and fluffy that you lose interest. It was nice while it lasted but it was nothing I would get too excited about. ( )
1 vote bedda | Apr 19, 2013 |

Martha Grimesprimary authorall editionscalculated
Pekkanen, HilkkaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To my brother Bill
She came out of the fog, her face painted half-white, half-black, walking down Grape Lane.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451410688, Mass Market Paperback)

Scotland Yard's Richard Jury and his sidekick Melrose Plant converge on a northern fishing village to hunt down a wily killer.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:12 -0400)

Scotland Yard Inspector Richard Jury investigates the bizarre murder of an unidentified woman in a tiny English seaside village.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 128,950,497 books! | Top bar: Always visible