The Chain by Adrian McKinty

The Chain

by Adrian McKinty

VICTIM. SURVIVOR. ABDUCTOR. CRIMINAL. YOU WILL BECOME EACH ONE. "This nightmarish story is incredibly propulsive and original. You won't shake it for a long time." STEPHEN KING "McKinty is one of the most striking and most memorable crime voices to emerge on the scene in years. His plots tempt you to read at top speed, but don't give in: this writing - sharply observant, intelligent and shot through with black humor - should be savored." TANA FRENCH "A masterpiece. You have never read anything quite like THE CHAIN and you will never be able to forget it." DON WINSLOW * * * * * YOUR PHONE RINGS. A STRANGER HAS KIDNAPPED YOUR CHILD. TO FREE THEM YOU MUST ABDUCT SOMEONE ELSE'S CHILD. YOUR CHILD WILL BE RELEASED WHEN YOUR VICTIM'S PARENTS KIDNAP ANOTHER CHILD. IF ANY OF THESE THINGS DON'T HAPPEN: YOUR CHILD WILL BE KILLED. YOU ARE NOW PART OF THE CHAIN * * * * * "Diabolical, unnerving, and gives a whole new meaning to the word "relentless". Adrian McKinty just leapt to the top of my list of must-read suspense novelists. He's the real deal." DENNIS LEHANE "Pairing an irresistible concept with a winner protagonist, THE CHAIN promises to be your new addiction once you succumb to the first enticing page." ALAFAIR BURKE "A grade-A-first-rate-edge-of-your-seat thriller. I can't believe what went through my mind while reading it." ATTICA LOCKE "Diabolically gripping. Nail-biting, smart, and convincing. Hang on tight, because once you start this book, you can't stop - you'll be caught in THE CHAIN." MEG GARDINER "THE CHAIN is the rare thriller that's not only fiendishly clever but also powerfully empathetic, with both hair-raising twists and complex, fully-realized characters." LOU BERNEY "YOU ARE NOT THE FIRST. AND YOU WILL CERTAINLY NOT BE THE LAST."… (more)
Recently added bySahbi, mccollister, Critteranne666, wcumulus, private library, rena75, Dyrfinna, frfinch, WendiV

The Chain is a novel that confirms your worst fears as a parent - what would you do if your child was in danger? How far would you go?
Kylie, Rachel's daughter, is taken while waiting for the bus. This sets off a series of events, including ransom, and worse - another kidnapping. The Chain cannot be broken.
Rachel is a breast cancer survivor, and she fears that she may be having a relapse. The stress of her daughter missing adds to the cancer stress. Rachel enlists her ex brother-in-law to help her recover Kylie.
The Chain is a fast moving novel that keeps you on the edge of your seat.
I liked the novel, but I thought the last few chapters felt like they were being wrapped up too fast, in order to complete the novel.
#TheChain #AdrianMcKinty ( )
  rmarcin | Oct 9, 2019 |
read on recommendation ( )
  bookczuk | Sep 30, 2019 |
This book was reminiscent of the chain letters we used to get, to be passed on or receive bad luck. A similar scenario here but involving kidnapping and ransom. Good book, enjoyed it. ( )
  myers3 | Sep 28, 2019 |
Synopsis/blurb.....

You are a parent. Your phone rings. You answer it. It's a panicked stranger.

They tell you that they have kidnapped your child.

The stranger then explains that their child has also been kidnapped, by a completely different stranger.

Their child will be released only when you kidnap a new child.

Your child will be released only when, after you kidnap the new child, that child's parents kidnap yet another child.

And most importantly, the stranger explains, if you don't kidnap a child, or if the next parents don't kidnap a child, your child will be murdered.

You are now part of The Chain.

It's something parents do every morning: Rachel Klein drops her daughter at the bus stop and heads into her day. But a cell phone call from an unknown number changes everything: it's a woman on the line, informing her that she has Kylie bound and gagged in her back seat, and the only way Rachel will see her again is to follow her instructions exactly: pay a ransom, and find another child to abduct. This is no ordinary kidnapping: the caller is a mother herself, whose son has been taken, and if Rachel doesn't do as she's told, the boy will die.
--------
My take......

I suppose if I had read this ten years ago when my children were at a more vulnerable age, as opposed to grown adults, I may have been more petrified by the narrative. That said you'd need a heart of stone not to feel Rachel's pain. She's our main character and she's been having a tough time of things - battling cancer and getting used to the fact that her husband, Marty traded her in for a younger model. On her way to a medical appointment, she gets the call - Kylie, her daughter has been kidnapped, photo confirmation soon confirms this and she's now part of the chain. Pay up, kidnap another child, when their parents pay, your daughter will be released. Simples.

I quite liked this one without ever being totally enthralled. Rachel enlists her brother in law, Pete as support. He's ex-military and a drug addict. Without giving all the plot away, the pair do the deed and struggle to cope with the aftermath of events once Kylie is returned....... guilt, the burden of secrecy, ongoing fear as the chain organiser still taunt and threaten them, the disruption to every day life, the effect on Kylie who was kind of complicit in the kidnapping of another, the sheer lack of normality. All of it takes its toll.

A fightback then and despite the dangers of the all seeing, ever watchful chain cottoning on to what they're up to, Rachel and Pete, now romantically entangles endeavour to break the chain.

Decent story, intriguing and a bit different. Events move fairly swiftly. We get flashbacks to the childhoods of our villains and we understand their motivations and events that have shaped them - manipulative little turds that they were. Adult turds now. Sympathetic characters in respect of Rachel and Kylie and the rest of their posse. Pete's helpful and capable, but she needs to keep an eye on that drug use. The ex-husband means well but is a bit of a tool. I enjoyed the time spent in the company of their nemesis.

Overall I quite liked it.

4 from 5

I've read and enjoyed Adrian McKinty a few times before, but not for a while - The Cold Cold Ground (2012)

Read - September, 2019
Published - 2019
Page count - 331
Source - Net Galley courtesy of publisher Mulholland Books
Format - ePub file read on laptop

https://col2910.blogspot.com/2019/09/adrian-mckinty-chain-2019.html ( )
  col2910 | Sep 21, 2019 |
August 2019 ( )
  jimifenway | Sep 19, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,908,298 books! | Top bar: Always visible