Catfishing on CatNet

by Naomi Kritzer

Series: CatNet (1)

Because her mom is always on the move, Steph hasn't lived anywhere longer than six months. Her only constant is an online community called CatNet--a social media site where users upload cat pictures--a place she knows she is welcome. What Steph doesn't know is that the admin of the site, CheshireCat, is a sentient A.I. When a threat from Steph's past catches up to her and ChesireCat's existence is discovered by outsiders, it's up to Steph and her friends, both online and IRL, to save her. A surprising, heartfelt near-future YA thriller about the topical issues of online privacy and out-of-control technology, and the importance of making connections in an increasingly fragmented society by award-winning author Naomi Kritzer, whose short story "Cat Pictures Please" won the Hugo Award and Locus Award and was a finalist for the Nebula Award.… (more)

I really love this book! It delivers on the premise from [Cat Pictures Please], and then does so much more. The central plot around the protagonist and her parents is scary but nuanced, and well-grounded in reality. The teenagers sound like actual teenagers from the modern world. A whole bunch of real-world issues are incorporated into the story, without it ever feeling didactic or like a Very Special Episode. And the AI character is great, of course. Between the teens, the politics, and the focus on computer security, it reminds me positively of one of my other favorite books, [Little Brother]. ( )
  lavaturtle | Feb 9, 2021 |
Cute, fun, yet also thought provoking with shades of darkness ( )
  Andorion | Feb 6, 2021 |
This was a great and fairly quick read (once I actually sat down to read it). Review contains plot points but not really "spoilers."

Stephanie and her mom keep moving because her father is a dangerous man with plans for world domination and a burning desire to find them. The only friends Steph has are on-line in her "clowder" on "CatNet." She finally meets a friend IRL, hacks a sex-teaching robot, and finds out CatNet is run by a benevolent AI who loves animal pictures and finds teenagers more interesting than adults. Steph's life takes a turn when her mother is hospitalized for a burst appendix. Her mother, incoherent and probably paranoid tells her run... but not where or to whom. In the process of trying to figure out what to do next, Steph discovers the many lies that her mother has told her. Not sure who to trust, who to believe, or where to go, Steph will need all the help she can get to figure it out.

The book is part mystery, part adventure, part family drama. With an assortment of wonderful queer characters and general Internet nerdiness. Just delightful. ( )
  Sarah220 | Jan 23, 2021 |
¡Muy chulo! Ojalá lo tradujesen en español, seguro que tendría su buen público.
(Lástima que la portada le pegue bien poco, ay...) ( )
  essuniz | Jan 2, 2021 |
From my daughter:
This book features a young teenager Steph and a computer AI. I liked the book because it was a pretty dense book with a lot of good topics to write about in my english class. The book helped me not fail my book summaries in class. :D (I may or may not have snuck the book into choir and read it the whole time) ( )
  daltonlp | Dec 15, 2020 |

Naomi Kritzerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Worrell, LesleyCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

CatNet (1)
To Kiera, Molly, and Ed Burke
My two favorite things to do with my time are helping people and looking at cat pictures.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 157,707,343 books! | Top bar: Always visible