Catfishing on CatNet

by Naomi Kritzer

Series: CatNet (1)

Because her mother is always on the move, sixteen-year-old Steph hasn't lived anywhere longer than six months. Her only constant is an online community called CatNet, a social media site where users upload cat pictures and the admin is CheshireCat, a sentient AI who loves cat pictures. When a threat from Steph's past catches up to her and CheshireCat's existence is discovered, it's up to Steph and her friends, both online and IRL, to save them. A near-future thriller about online privacy and out-of-control technology and the importance of making connections in an increasingly fragmented society.… (more)

You may notice that my reading dates are a year before this book's publication date. Well, I nerded out so hard when I saw this title coming up in our system that I asked the editor for an advance-advance look at the manuscript. And man, it did not disappoint! I didn't feel comfortable commenting on the book so early, so now I'm saving the final copy for when I need a pick-me-up kind of read.

Want a sample of the author's writing? The AI in this book makes its first appearance in Kritzer's Hugo-, Nebula-, and Locus-Award winning short story, "Cat Pictures Please." ( )
  books-n-pickles | Jan 16, 2022 |
I enjoyed this a lot, it was fast paced and not

the usual paranoia that an A.I. is going to want to hurt people or take over the world. I really don't understand why people think that an intelligence greater then our own, wouldn't actually be smarter and wiser then us and would not want to hurt anything.

Pretty diverse cast of characters and I'm looking forward to reading the next book in the series where maybe we'll get to meet the 2nd A.I. hopefully it'll be as inclusive and paranoia free as this book was.

kevn57 | Dec 8, 2021 |
Steph and her mom are always on the run, so her only friends are the people she swaps animal photos with online. In a new town, she meets someone she would actually like to stay connected to, and she starts having doubts about her mom's judgment and priorities. Wacky SF thriller plot ensues. Touches on AI, privacy, electronic security, Internet of Things. PS Lots of queer characters. ( )
  AmphipodGirl | May 23, 2021 |
I really love this book! It delivers on the premise from [Cat Pictures Please], and then does so much more. The central plot around the protagonist and her parents is scary but nuanced, and well-grounded in reality. The teenagers sound like actual teenagers from the modern world. A whole bunch of real-world issues are incorporated into the story, without it ever feeling didactic or like a Very Special Episode. And the AI character is great, of course. Between the teens, the politics, and the focus on computer security, it reminds me positively of one of my other favorite books, [Little Brother]. ( )
  lavaturtle | Feb 8, 2021 |
Cute, fun, yet also thought provoking with shades of darkness ( )
  Andorion | Feb 6, 2021 |

Naomi Kritzerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Worrell, LesleyCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
To Kiera, Molly, and Ed Burke
My two favorite things to do with my time are helping people and looking at cat pictures.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 170,028,610 books! | Top bar: Always visible