Waiting for Tom Hanks

by Kerry Winfrey

"Romantic-comedy-obsessed Annie Cassidy dreams of being the next Nora Ephron. She spends her days writing internet content, rewatching Sleepless in Seattle, and waiting for her movie-perfect meet cute. If she could just find her own Tom Hanks--a man who's sweet, sensitive, and possibly owns a houseboat--her problems would disappear and her life would be perfect. But Tom Hanks is nowhere in sight. When a movie starts filming in her neighborhood and Annie gets a job on set, it seems like a sign. Then Annie meets the lead actor, Drew Danforth, a cocky prankster who couldn't be less like Tom Hanks if he tried. Their meet-cute is more of a meet annoying, but soon Annie finds herself sharing some classic rom-com moments with Drew. Her Tom Hanks can't be an actor who's leaving town in a matter of days...can he? Drew may not be what she imagined, but Annie soon learns that real life doesn't always go according to script"--… (more)
    Love Walked In by Marisa de los Santos (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: Film-obsessed heroines are waiting for the picture-perfect leading man to enter their lives in both of these romantic novels. The likeable women soon find out that life isn't always like a movie, but it can be exactly what they need.

Cute, wholesome romance for those who have a strong affinity for rom-com movies especially the ones that star Tom Hanks.

The story is about a lonely writer, obsessed with movies, who falls for an actor (extremely obviously modeled on Chris Pratt) who films a rom-com in her town.

It also sets up a spin off book about her best friend that looks like she’ll be falling in love with s thinly veiled Luke from Gilmore Girls.

It’s 100% predictable and sweet but that’s ok. My only real beef is that it’s very repetitive even within its own framework. ( )
  hmonkeyreads | Jan 25, 2024 |
I'm actually giving this book a 2.5 stars. Okay so the writing was super repetitive at times which I found a little annoying. I also hated the main character Annie for pretty much the entire book. And that is probably because I'm a realist, and she had unrealistic expectations for most of the book. I appreciated that she didn't just want to settle for any man, but I couldn't stand the fact that she expected life to be like a movie. I loved Drew's character, and I loved Chloe's character. There were some really cute parts that I did love, but the enjoyment level went up and down for me. ( )
  TimeLord10SPW | Jul 4, 2023 |
This was cute. The h makes judgments about the H before she even meets him and it takes her a long time to let go of it. I loved the H and he, along with the secondary characters, is what made the book for me. I'm looking forward to the next book, which moves forward with the artistic choices the H/h make in this one and is about the h's best friend. ( )
  mktoronto | Jan 25, 2023 |
Okay this is a cute story. It really did read as a RomCom and I am okay with that. I caught a few things that were going to happen, but they were still okay. I was hoping something more would have happened with Barry, but that is okay. ( )
  LVStrongPuff | Nov 30, 2022 |
I think the most unrealistic thing about this book is how much MC loves living in Ohio. Girl. NO ONE loves Ohio.

Besides that, this failed to accomplish what Book Lovers managed so effortlessly. The romcom tropes we know and love are blatantly silly. However, Waiting for Tom Hanks leaned too hard. Like *way* too hard. Caught between giving this 2 or 3 stars, I settled on 2 because I’ll likely forget I read this in the very near future. ( )
  ilkjen | Sep 18, 2022 |

Belongs to Series

Belongs to Publisher Series

For Lauren Dlugosz Rochford, first and best reader
I just thought I would've met Tom Hanks by now.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 204,561,711 books! | Top bar: Always visible