Bitter Root Volume 1: Family Business

by David F. Walker, Chuck Brown, Chuck Brown (Author), Sanford Greene (Artist)

Other authors: Regina N. Bradley (Contributor), Kinitra Brooks (Contributor), Clayton Cowles (Letterer), John Jennings (Contributor), Rico Renzi (Colorist)3 more, Stacey Robinson (Contributor), Ceeon D. Quiett Smith (Contributor), Qiana Whitted (Contributor)

Series: Bitter Root (Vol. 1 (1-5))

Once known as the greatest monster hunters of all time,the Sangerye family specialized in curing the souls of those infected by hate,but those days are fading. A terrible tragedy has claimed most of the family,leaving the s

This book was simply amazing. It is an extremely alternative history of the Harlem Renascence. In this world, people with a corrupted soul become these monsters that must be killed or must be cured. And being it’s the 1920’s and his is Harlem and most of the monsters were people who believed in lynching and segregation. But there is one family that is the best at making their bitter root brew that can save someone from this life. They work with the police and everything, because they want a better world. On its own, the story is amazing, and the artwork is so detailed. But add historical reference I knew nothing about, and I was googling “red summer”, 1919 deaths etc. This book, a historical fantasy about monster killing, read this reader down a research hole to learn about things not taught in schools. It makes the reader curious, and eager to learn more and only the best books can do that.

If you liked Ring Shout - then you would probably like this book. ( )
  LibrarianRyan | May 6, 2022 |
This is heavy on action but light on character development. The concept is cool--be sure to check out the essays at the end (at least if you happen upon the Hoopla edition)--but there's been a lot of media recently centered around similar themes/events (the new HBO Watchmen, P. Djeli Clark's [b: Ring Shout|49247242|Ring Shout|P. Djèlí Clark|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1580134382l/49247242._SY75_.jpg|74693559], Lovecraft Country), and I'm not sure it will stand out in my memory over the long haul. ( )
  LibroLindsay | Jun 18, 2021 |
My review of this book can be found on my Youtube Vlog at:

Enjoy! ( )
  booklover3258 | Aug 13, 2020 |
I was going to give this book a 2-star rating after finishing the main feature, because despite the interesting start and showing us horror through an African American prism, the story quickly became a lot of slam-bang action scenes with one-dimensional characters fighting monsters. It felt like I was skipping all the other episodes in the season and just watching the cliffhanger finale of Supernatural. Who are these people and why are they all fighting?

But the book was saved by the many scholarly articles in the end matter. A lot of thought provoking notions were raised there that I hope the creators of the comics will start to integrate more fully into their narrative. ( )
1 vote villemezbrown | Nov 3, 2019 |

Robinson, StaceyContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Smith, Ceeon D. QuiettContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Whitted, QianaContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
For everyone who has stood up to the Jinoo. Keep fighting the monsters. - David
"For everyone who has stood up to the Jinoo. Keep fighting the monsters."
―David
Dedicated to my big brothers for introducing me to a world of heroes, monsters, & magic. And to my wife & kids for their love, support. - Chuck
"Dedicated to my big brothers for introducing me to a world of heroes, monsters, & magic. And to my wife & kids for their love, support."
―Chuck
To my wife and children for the support and thanks to God for opportunity for me and my creative brothers to fight the good fight. - Sanford
Harlem.
New York.
1924...
"C'mon, we can walk through the park, Ossie."
I hear tell the park ain't safe, Ruby.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,874,029 books! | Top bar: Always visible