Have you checked out SantaThing, LibraryThing's gift-giving tradition?
dismiss

Dear Girls: Intimate Tales, Untold Secrets & Advice for Living Your Best…

by Ali Wong

"In her hit Netflix comedy special Baby Cobra, an eight-month pregnant Ali Wong resonated so heavily that she became a popular Halloween costume. Wong told the world her remarkably unfiltered thoughts on marriage, sex, Asian culture, working women, and why you never see new mom comics on stage but you sure see plenty of new dads. The sharp insights and humor are even more personal in this completely original collection. She shares the wisdom she's learned from a life in comedy and reveals stories from her life off stage, including the brutal singles life in New York (i.e. the inevitable confrontation with erectile dysfunction), reconnecting with her roots (and drinking snake blood) in Vietnam, tales of being a wild child growing up in San Francisco, and parenting war stories. Though addressed to her daughters, Ali Wong's letters are absurdly funny, surprisingly moving, and enlightening (and disgusting) for all"--… (more)

I really loved this book and it totally deserved to be the Good Reads winner for Humor in 2019! It was everything I was hoping it would be and more. I love Ali Wong and her stand up always has me doubled-over laughing. I was so excited when I learned she was writing a book and it was extra exciting that it was a personalized letter to her own daughters. I absolutely had to listen to it on audio because Ali is a story teller and I felt like the book was exponentially better when read by the author. I loved how intimate the book became as she told stories about things that I was completely unaware of. She would pull you in with serious moments and then proceed to make you laugh out loud by hitting you with that amazing humor of hers. I am such a huge fan of Ali Wong and I absolutely recommend this book to anyone and everyone. ( )
  kathrynwithak7 | Nov 24, 2021 |
Dear Girls is definitely worth a read - Ali Wong is a smart, funny hustler and it shows - but I don't know if I will read it again. It's a by-the-numbers comedian's book - you laugh at the funny bits, cringe at the gross bits, feel feels at the painful bits. I wanted more details from some stories - um, your hot fuck-buddy went missing and you just end the anecdote there?! - but that is because I am a nosy bitch. I also would have preferred a more linear narrative, but this really is a series of letters and not a strict memoir. I will probably bump up a star once I hear the audiobook.

Thanks to Ali Wong, Random House, and Netgalley for providing me with an arc! ( )
  doryfish | Aug 20, 2021 |
I really enjoyed this funny memoir! I hadn't known anything about Ali Wong before reading/listening to Dear Girls. And halfway through I said to myself, "Alright, I should probably watch the Netflix specials." I ended up watching "Baby Cobra" and daaaamn this chick is raunchy!

This memoir is a love letter to Ali's daughters about her life, race, upbringing, career, family, feminism, dating and her relationship with her husband, their father, Justin Hakuta. Listening to Ali narrate was a treat. It was basically like listening to one of her comedy specials just for you.

The only thing I probably was thrown by was her husband narrating the afterword. The pacing was perfect and I really wanted to end on her voice and tone. I did appreciate his perspective but I would have liked it better following her own chapter on their meet-cute and marriage. It might not have worked but it felt weird ending on someone else's thoughts after the wild ride of Ali Wong's mind and passion.

While I dabble in celebrity memoirs, they aren't my bread and butter so take this for what you will!
All in all, really enjoyable and fun! ( )
  booksforbrunch | May 5, 2021 |
Ali Wong was at her brash, bawdy, and unapologetic finest in this book. I love her comedy and was excited to learn more about the woman off the stage - I was not disappointed! I loved the openness she offered about her experiences, the hilarity of her anecdotes and just the all around honesty.

I'm not big into memoirs and the like, but this one was excellent.

One last thing, I've read a few reviews that didn't like the final chapter where her husband Justin offers his perspective, but I found it refreshing and interesting to see the story from the other side. To me it was less of a justification as to why he chose to support her career over his own, and more about trying to address the stigma that exists around men supporting powerful women... and that is something that definitely needs addressing more. ( )
  TCLinrow | Mar 17, 2021 |

I'm not big into memoirs and the like, but this one was excellent.

TCLinrow | Mar 17, 2021 |
Dedicated to my father: the incomparable Adolphus Wong, who taught me unconditional love and how to give zero fucks. Miss you so.
Dear Girls, I have a secret that I never wanted anyone to know.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Ali Wong's book Dear Girls was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 164,339,830 books! | Top bar: Always visible