Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

Man of My Dreams by Johanna Lindsey

Man of My Dreams

by Johanna Lindsey

Series: Sherring Cross (Jun 1992, book 1)

There are some twists.. I thought it was a cute, fun story. I give 4 stars. ( )
  CrystalW | Dec 15, 2015 |
There are some twists.. I thought it was a cute, fun story. I give 4 stars. ( )
  CrystalW | Dec 15, 2015 |
Typical Lindsey historical. Overblown emotional yarn with great characters. Quick read. ( )
  lesmel | Jul 14, 2013 |
Johanna Lindsey’s Man Of My Dreams was one of the first romance novels I ever read. I recently curled up with the ebook to reread it for the first time in years and still got that perfect, HEA-high that the best romances give me.

Lindsey does things that would earn most authors writing today a big slap on the wrist – she switches between her h/H’s point of view every paragraph or two in some scenes, always letting us see into the head of whoever’s having the most exciting thoughts. She mentions when characters don’t notice something – “Megan looked away first, her face hotter than ever, so she didn’t see the flush that also came into Devlin’s cheeks” – which is bad form these days but, as in the above example, can be really fun for the reader.

And she’s written a book that hinges on a silly contrivance – Devlin shows up at the heroine’s house masquerading as a horse breeder, but he’s actually the Duke of Wrothston. He needs to lay low for a while to avoid a duel and that’s the solution he comes up with. Also straight out of Romancelandia? The heroine, Megan’s, fantastic good looks. After one look at her, men drop to one knee and spout proposals. She’s not just beautiful, she’s dangerous.

I actually find Megan to be a really delightful character. She has this matter-of-fact attitude about her looks that I admired – she knows she’s gorgeous but she doesn’t dwell or gloat – and she’s just as matter-of-fact and accepting of her flaws, like the fact that she’s spoiled and stubborn. As a result, she never seemed childish to me. I think it takes a fair bit of maturity to know yourself and accept yourself so well.

Devlin is used to being the heartthrob in the room – he’s a fantastically good-looking duke! But Megan’s beautiful enough to smash even his composure and he meets her as a laborer, without the aphrodisiac effect of his title. He hates being at a disadvantage and reacts by cutting loose. He speaks his mind, courtesy be damned, and throws propriety to the winds.

The best thing about MAN OF MY DREAMS are the verbal sparring matches between Devlin and Megan. Their banter is quick and sexy and so fun. One early plot twist gets started when Megan informs Devlin that she’s set her cap for a man she thinks she’s never met, the Duke of Wrothston. Devlin is horrified to think how easily he’d have fallen under Megan’s spell if he hadn’t been warned about her title hunting & sets out to teach her a lesson.

The best parts of the book take place before the game is up and Devlin reveals his true identity, but this is still an all-time favorite for me.
  MlleEhreen | Apr 3, 2013 |
Ugh. Where do I start? OK, first off, the premise is ridiculous: a duke in Victoria's England caught in a scandal needs to lay low for a while. So he hides on a local squire's estate as a stable boy? And brings blood stock with him to make it look like they're starting a stud farm?

You know, there's this thing called the English Channel--it separates Britain from the Continent. I'd think that's where an English duke would go into hiding until things calmed down--where he could do so in style and not bedded in a stable. But then he wouldn't be where he can force a kiss on the Megan, squire's beautiful and marriageable daughter, and then when he doesn't approve of something she does, spank her as punishment. Which is where I left this book on page 204. ( )
  LisaMaria_C | Jul 4, 2010 |

Johanna Lindseyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Cosmaro, M. L.Translatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Melinder, SonjaTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Montanus, WillyTranslatorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Simó, Györgysecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Lee Ann and Harry,
When true love happens, it endures
Chapter 1
England, 1878

"Just what do you think you're staring at, Tyler Whately?"

MAN OF HER DREAMS
The most desirable beauty in the land, wildly unpredictable Megan Penworthy has set her amorous sights on Ambrose St. James, Duke of Wrothston--a man she has never met but has every intention of marrying. No other suitor will satisfy her--especially not the common, if uncommonly handsome, horse breeder, Devlin Jefferys.

WOMAN OF HIS DESIRES
Posing as lowborn Jefferys to escape a potentially fatal confrontation, Ambrose is enthralled and infuriated by the brazen, duke-hunting redhead. Without revealing his true identity, the notorious rogue vows to foil Megan's, plans to wed the man of her dreams-never imagining the enchanting schemer would turn out to be the only woman he would ever dream of marrying.

Wildly unpredictable, the most desirable beauty in the land, Megan Penworthy has set her amorous sights on Ambrose St. James , a man she has never met but has every intention of marrying. And no other suitor will satisfy her especially not the common, if uncommonly handsome, horse breeder, Devlin Jefferys.

Posing as lowborn Jefferys to escape a potentially fatal confrontation, Sir Ambrose is enthralled by the brazen, duke-hunting redhead. Without revealing his true identity, he vows to seduce and tame her, thereby foiling Megan's plans to marry the man of her dreams. But the notorious rogue never imagined the enchanting schemer would turn out to be the only woman he would ever dream of marrying.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:03 -0400)

Posing as lowborn Jefferys to escape a potentially fatal confrontation, Sir Ambrose is enthralled by the brazen, duke- hunting redhead. Without revealing his true identity, he vows to seduce and tame her, thereby foiling Megan's plans to marry the man of her dreams. But the notorious rogue never imagined the enchanting schemer would turn out to be the only woman he would ever dream of marrying.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,491,821 books! | Top bar: Always visible