HomeGroupsTalkExplore

A Good Girl's Guide to Murder (2019)

by Holly Jackson

THE INSTANT NEW YORK TIMES BESTSELLER!  For readers of Kara Thomas and Karen McManus, an addictive, twisty crime thriller with shades of Serial and Making a Murderer about a closed local murder case that doesn't add up, and a girl who's determined to find the real killer--but not everyone wants her meddling in the past. Everyone in Fairview knows the story. Pretty and popular high school senior Andie Bell was murdered by her boyfriend, Sal Singh, who then killed himself. It was all anyone could talk about. And five years later, Pip sees how the tragedy still haunts her town. But she can't shake the feeling that there was more to what happened that day. She knew Sal when she was a child, and he was always so kind to her. How could he possibly have been a killer? Now a senior herself, Pip decides to reexamine the closed case for her final project, at first just to cast doubt on the original investigation. But soon she discovers a trail of dark secrets that might actually prove Sal innocent . . . and the line between past and present begins to blur. Someone in Fairview doesn't want Pip digging around for answers, and now her own life might be in danger. This is the story of an investigation turned obsession, full of twists and turns and with an ending you'll never expect. "The perfect nail-biting mystery." --Natasha Preston, #1 New York Times bestselling author … (more)

English (84)  Catalan (1)  Dutch (1)  All languages (86)
Very enjoyable YA book about an academically-focused teen who has decided to re-investigate the murder of a teenage girl for her senior project. What she finds puts so many people in danger, herself included (of course). It was definitely a quick read; I whipped through it in a day. ( )
  ahef1963 | Jan 23, 2023 |
1.5 stars. I can't believe the book I read is the same one everyone else is gushing over. Completely unrealistic and stupid plot. Also one of the most annoying main characters I've ever read. Actually all the characters were horrible. A waste of time to read. ( )
  LittleSpeck | Jan 15, 2023 |
A very good Young Adult murder mystery. It reminded me of Maureen Johnson's "Truly Devious" series. It had an engaging heroine and hero.

I read it as an ebook and I think I'll buy it as a paper back as it's frustrating not being able to see all the diagrams and notes properly and I'm sure I would have got more out of the book if I could have read them. ( )
  LizTuckwell | Jan 1, 2023 |
trigger warnings for this book: rape, drug use, pet death, kidnapping.

HOLY SHIT. I need to breathe after reading this entire masterpiece in one sitting. Hands down the best YA mystery/thriller I’ve read. Brilliantly crafted, thick, twisted and unexpected plot, mixed with great characters and suspense. Read this book. If you love thrillers, and want something to keep you on the edge of your seat, this one’s for you. A full 5 stars from me! Bravo Holly Jackson! ( )
  ameliaavery | Dec 29, 2022 |
A very slow burn that quickly leads up to the climax.

A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder is how 17-year-old Pippa Fitz-Amobi tries to solve a cold case that everyone believes was solved when the number one suspect, Sal Singh, is found dead. It’s believed that he unalived himself due to his girlfriend, Andie Bell, having gone missing. 5 years later, Pippa chooses to use this widely accepted closed case in her small town as the focus of her senior project. She slowly begins to turn over evidence that leads Pippa to the conclusion that there was much more to Andie’s disappearance and Sal’s death than was initially revealed by the police and the media.

This story was told in two voices. First as a narrator’s point of view of Pippa Fitz-Amobi and then as Pippa’s Capstone Project log notes. I found this switch up in delivery interesting. There were sections that had “evidence” included, and man do I love a map. That being said, some of the dialogue rings a little hollow to me. Pippa tends to not use contractions when she speaks, which for a typical 17 year old, takes me out of the story a bit.

Pippa has a group of friends, but other than her best friend Cara, the rest are minor characters. Instead, Pippa receives all assistance from Ravi Singh, Sal Singh’s brother. Ravi and his parents have been victim to all of the anger the town has kept for Sal, and even 5 years later, there immense hatred. Interestingly, Sal and his family having brown skin, and that being the reason the town and media were so quick to place blame on Sal, js only brought up a couple times. It feels glossed over, similar to how Pippa’s stepfather is a tall “six-foot-four Nigerian”. But no one bats an eye and there’s never really a discussion around how that has affected Pippa or Pippa’s family in this small town.

I did really enjoy the story. There were parts that made me stop and say “HUH?!?” Because I was expecting an answer or explanation and never got one. The story was also, as I mentioned previously, a slow burn. Although things are happening, and big things too, it isn’t until the last third of the book, Part 3, that thing start to pick up. And then it’s a whirlwind to the finish.

I see the author already has 2 other books, that appear very similar (continuations of the story perhaps?) that I am interested into looking into further. ( )
  acligon | Dec 19, 2022 |
To Mum and Dad, this first one is for you.
Pip knew where they lived.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 182,746,201 books! | Top bar: Always visible