Venus by Suzan-Lori Parks
1204154,393 (3.33)1
Suzan-Lori Parks continues her examination of black people in history and stage through the life of the so-called "Hottentot Venus," an African woman displayed semi-nude throughout Europe due to her extraordinary physiognomy; in particular, her enormous buttocks. She was befriended, bought and bedded by a doctor who advanced his scientific career through his anatomical measurements of her after her premature death.… (more)

This play made me feel both interested in and disturbed by the story of Saartjie Baartman/The Venus Hottentot. However, I felt that the absurdist, jumpy style distracted from the narrative instead of strengthening it. ( )
  hungrylittlebookworm | Mar 27, 2017 |
31 scenes
  kutheatre | Jun 7, 2015 |
One of the many books that exploded my sheltered, Southern brain in college. Read for a World Drama class that sparked my decision to major in English lit. ( )
  magritteamour | May 7, 2011 |
I liked this playscript better than most, although it became repititious after a while. I would like to see the play produced. ( )
  suesbooks | Apr 4, 2007 |
with Love from The Rockefeller Foundation's Bellagio/with Love from TCG
and with Love from Liz Diamond/ and with Love from Thalia Field/ and with Love from Bonnie Metzgar/ and with Love from Bruce Hainley/ and with Love from Stephanie Ellen/ and with Love from David Harris/ and with Love from Saartjle Baartman
Overture: The Venus facing stage right. She revolves, counterclockwise. 270 degrees. She faces upstage.
The Negro Resurrectionist: The Venus Hottentot!

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,748,314 books! | Top bar: Always visible