Ribsy (1964)

by Beverly Cleary

Series: Henry Huggins (6)

Separated from his owner, Henry Huggins, in a shopping center parking lot, an ordinary city dog begins a string of bewildering adventures.

A pretty cute story story about the adventures of a lost dog. More fun than Ann M. Martin's A Dog's Life. Not as deep as Because of Winn-Dixie.

One unintentionally hilarious thing about this book is that everyone calls hot dogs "weenies." ( )
  LibrarianDest | Jan 3, 2024 |
I remember reading this as a child and being completely in the moment with Ribsy during all his adventures. Re-reading as an adult, I still had fun with his story, but the realism of Henry Huggins and Ramona slips here a little. For the most part, Ribsy behaves as a dog, but I suppose it's hard to tell a dog's story without anthropomorphising (is that a word?) him a bit. Have I mentioned how much I adore Louis Darling's illustrations? ( )
  Doodlebug34 | Jan 1, 2024 |
Independent Reading Level: 1st to 5th grade.

Awards: None.
  SamanthaBieker | Dec 5, 2023 |
4.5 stars

This is a really cute story about a dog who gets separated from his owner (a young boy) and tries to make his way back to him. It details all the people he meets along the way and the crazy situations he gets himself into, and it's mostly told from the dog's perspective.

My favorite part was when he accidentally goes home with the wrong family, which has four young girls, and they try to give him a bath. The dialogue was incredibly realistic!

There were a few parts here and there that could have been slightly condensed, but overall this was a fun read that my 6- and 8-year-old nieces really enjoyed!

RachelRachelRachel | Nov 21, 2023 |
From my 11 year old-
“Ribsy is written by Beverly Cleary, we join Henry’s dog Ribsy in an adventure where Ribsy is lost in a parking lot with no collar and has an epic advebture with many homes and people.

He heads to a different place every chapter and is comforted by many people in his journey home. It is an entertaining book with much adventure. He even goes to a football game! ( )
  FamiliesUnitedLL | Oct 19, 2023 |

Cleary, Beverlyprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Darling, LouisIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Dockray, TracyIllustratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Harris, Neil PatrickNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Henry Huggins' dog Ribsy was a plain ordinary city dog, the kind of dog that strangers usually called Mutt or Pooch.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 201,756,241 books! | Top bar: Always visible