Fantasy. Fiction. Romance. HTML:The #1 New York Times bestselling author of The Sinner brings another hot adventure of true love and ultimate sacrifice in the Black Dagger Brotherhood world.
The location of the glymera's notorious prison camp was lost after the raids. When a freak accident provides Nyx clues to where her sister may still be doing time, she becomes determined to find the secret subterranean labyrinth. Embarking on a journey under the earth, she learns a terrible truth??and meets a male who changes everything, forever.

The Jackal has been in the camp for so long he cannot recall anything of the freedom he once knew. Trapped by circumstances out of his control, he helps Nyx because he cannot help himself. After she discovers what happened to her sister, getting her back out becomes a deadly mission for them both.

United by a passion they can't deny, they work together on an escape plan for Nyx??even though their destiny is to be forever apart. And as the Black Dagger Brotherhood is called upon for help, and Rhage discovers he has a half-brother who's falsely imprisoned, a devious warden plots the deaths of them all...even the Bro
… (more)

English (10)  Italian (1)  All languages (11)
I love the story. However I do find myself hoping and praying that certain prisoners escaped. I mean there was really only one confirmation of death. and I am 100% sure that no one could have survived that little escapade. but the other three who I'm thinking of, and if you've read the book you know which three I'm talking about, part of me is hoping that they survived. and like I said there was really no confirmation of death. One was on the ground moaning as he was coming back consciousness, and the other one was tied to a post that upturned but nobody said anything about what happened to him afterwards, and the other one just wasn't mentioned at all toward the end of the book. So, I think there's actually a book about one of them, coming out soon, so that answers that question, but still, I'm hoping the big mean nasty one actually survived. Because I think he deserves a book.

And talk about dodging a major bullet. That daughter oh my god. Could you have imagined what she would have done to the brother if they had hooked up lol. ( )
  Morgie99 | Jul 7, 2023 |
Well it's official I've gotten past the 1st 9 books and I am addicted. I cannot wait for the rest of the series. And I cannot wait for me to start the new fallen series as well as looking forward to the wolverin series coming up soon. I fully intend to read all of them. And hopefully I'm going to read more of JR's series. All of them. Now to open my book of Tohr's.
And let's face it who is not waiting for Baylock and Qhuinn? ( )
  Morgie99 | Jul 7, 2023 |
Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of good to say here. I'd looked forward to trying Ward's writing, but lots of little annoyances I had with this book led me to feeling less than satisfied with it in the end. There's no one big issue, and it's a fast read, but I can't actually say I enjoyed it.

The largest issue is Nyx, the heroine. She's painted in an unsympathetic light from the beginning, at least to my way of thinking, and it took a long time for me to have any attachment at all to her. If the whole book had focused on her vs. switching over to the male lead, as well, I never would have managed to finish the book. Beyond her, though, it was just a case of many little annoyances adding up to me growing less and less engaged. Lots of little style issues (including awkward world-building-related terminology and endless rhetorical questions that ended in periods rather than question marks, which drove me bonkers), repetitive scenes and writing, and a wandering plot that somehow still managed to be predictable. Part of the problem is undoubtedly that the book tried to balance between suspense and paranormal romance, and when push came to shove, it didn't lean quite far enough in either direction when it came to plotting, so that a reader didn't get enough of either feel to be truly satisfied. Rather, the book didn't itself seem to know what it wanted or needed to be, beyond wanting to be longer than necessary.

This was a bit of a rant, but to be honest, I just don't have much that's good to say about the book. The plot, on a story level, sounds interesting even as I think about it, but the whole thing was just dragged out and presented in such a way that the promise it held via concept kind of got lost along the way for me.

I'd heard this series wasn't as good as Ward's others, but the concept appealed to me so much that I thought I'd give it a try anyway. I've got more of her books now because I was overconfident I'd enjoy them when I visited a used bookstore, so I'll likely at least try the next to see if the series gets better and/or the characters are at least likeable vs. so awkward, or in Nyx's case, flat-out unsympathetic. Or maybe I'll just jump to a different series...

Obviously, this book just wasn't for me, and it didn't satisfy either my taste for paranormal suspense or paranormal romance, so I can't recommend it. ( )
  whitewavedarling | Feb 6, 2023 |
Good start to a new series

Nice to learn Rhage has a brother. It will be interesting to learn if Apex, Lucan and Mayhem survived. I’d like to read their stories. ( )
  Z_Brarian | Dec 12, 2022 |
[b:The Jackal|48863512|The Jackal (Black Dagger Brotherhood Prison Camp, #1; Black Dagger Legacy, #5)|J.R. Ward|https://i.gr-assets.com/images/S/compressed.photo.goodreads.com/books/1578972178l/48863512._SY75_.jpg|69724346] by [a:J.R. Ward|20248|J.R. Ward|https://images.gr-assets.com/authors/1437768069p2/20248.jpg]
Genres: Adult, Crime, Paranormal, Romance
4.25 Stars

While I loved most of it, there were parts that left me...... unsatisfied.
The romance/sex scenes are intense and well written.
Loved The Jackal and Nyx. Though on occasion Nyx has some TSTL moments.
Loved the back flashes with Rhage and all the twist and turns.
For the most part, it is well written and flows very nicely.

Wasn't happy with some of the scenes with certain side characters. Those scenes felt like they were left unfinished.
We are introduced to a new subspecies. Maybe more than one.
I'm really curious as to where this new spinoff/crossover is going and eager to read more. ( )
  bodebeabay | Sep 25, 2022 |
This book is dedicated to all of the essential workers who have kept us going during the COVID-19 pandemic, especially those in the healthcare sector who have endangered their own lives to help others. We are so grateful to you.
The whole "life is a highway" metaphor was so ubiquitous, so overused, so threadbare and torn-patched, that as Nyx sat in the passenger side of a ten-year-old station wagon, and stared at the moonlit asphalt trail cutting through brush and bramble in western New York State, she wasn't thinking a damn thing about how similar the course of roads and lives could be: You could get sweet-sailing easy declines of coasting. Bad, bumpy, rough patches that rattled your teeth. Uphill hauls that you thought would never end. Bored stretches between far-apart exits.

Current Discussions

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 207,553,976 books! | Top bar: Always visible