Mooncakes (2019)

by Suzanne Walker, Wendy Xu (Illustrator)

Other authors: Rachel Dukes (Cover designer), Joamette Gil (Letterer)

"Nova Huang knows more about magic than your average teen witch. She works at her grandmothers bookshop, where she helps them loan out spell books and investigate any supernatural occurrences in their New England town. One fateful night, she follows reports of a white wolf into the woods, and she comes across the unexpected: her childhood crush, Tam Lang, battling a horse demon in the woods. As a werewolf, Tam has been wandering from place to place for years, unable to call any town home. Pursued by dark forces eager to claim the magic of wolves and out of options, Tam turns to Nova for help. Their latent feelings are rekindled against the backdrop of witchcraft, untested magic, occult rituals, and family ties both new and old in this enchanting tale of self-discovery"--Provided by publisher.… (more)

Loved the artwork in this comic, beautiful coloring. The writing felt YA-ish but still good, it gets bonus points from me for having a non-binary main character which is very rare in books or comics. ( )
  awesomejen2 | Jun 21, 2022 |
This is quite honestly one of the best graphic novels I've read in a long time. It's been on my highly anticipated list since I found out about it earlier this year and I'm so glad it didn't disappoint. In fact, it blew me away in the way the creators clearly took their time and made every single panel count. There was so much packed into this 250 page graphic novel but it worked so seamlessly.
Also, Tam and Nova are just goals in literally every way. I wasn't sure about romance in a graphic novel but I'm so pleased with how it turned out!

Re-read in August 2019, September 2019 ( )
  managedbybooks | May 3, 2022 |
Sweet romance, wonderful cozy non-traditional families, and a wonderfully magic-imbued story. Hard to get batter than that! ( )
  jennybeast | Apr 14, 2022 |
I absolutely loved this book! I hope it becomes a series so I can go with Nova and Tam on more adventures! If you like strong female representation, witches, werewolves, magic, and love, this is thre graphic novel for you! Can't wait for more! ( )
  bookdrunkard78 | Jan 6, 2022 |
I can’t even begin to describe how cute and wonderful this book was! I loved it to bits! Thank you so much, DJL! ( )
  theEmmers | Nov 24, 2021 |

Walker, SuzanneAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Xu, WendyIllustratormain authorall editionsconfirmed
Dukes, RachelCover designersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gil, JoametteLetterersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
I never thought I'd be back here.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 173,600,305 books! | Top bar: Always visible