Check out the Pride Celebration Treasure Hunt!

A Quest for Godliness: The Puritan Vision of…

A Quest for Godliness: The Puritan Vision of the Christian Life (1990)

by J. I. Packer

INDEX; NOTES
  saintmarysaccden | May 15, 2013 |
It's a gem, and worth reading. Especially if you are interested in Puritan Theology, and Puritan thinking. ( )
  aron124 | Feb 5, 2012 |
The Puritan Vision of the Christian life.
  kijabi1 | Jan 1, 2012 |
The Puritan Vision of the Christian Life
  crosstownbaptist | Sep 2, 2008 |
This book took me quite a while to work through because Packer is able to put so much in to what he says. You will want to read this book but plan to spend some time camping out in it. You'll be glad you did. ( )
  bethritter | May 16, 2008 |

J. I. Packer has had a long-standing passion for the Puritans. Their understanding of God and His ways with man has largely formed his own spirituality and theological outlook. In A Quest for Godliness, the esteemed author of Knowing God and a dozen other books shares with his readers the rich world of Puritanism that has been so influential in his own life.

Dr. Packer masterfully uncovers the hidden treasures of Puritan life and thought. With crystalline clarity he reveals the depth and breadth of Puritan spiritual life, contrasting it with the superficiality and deadness of modern Western Christianity.

Drawing on a lifetime of study, Dr. Packer takes the reader on a survey of the lives and teachings of great Puritan leaders such as John Owen, Richard Baxter, and Jonathan Edwards. He offers a close look at such subjects as the Puritan view of the Bible, spiritual gifts, the Sabbath, worship, social action, and the family. He concludes that a main difference between the Puritans and ourselves is spiritual maturity—the Puritans had it; we don't.

In a time of failing vision and decaying values, this powerful portrait of Puritans is a beacon of hope that calls us to radical commitment and action when both are desperately needed.

A Quest for Godliness is a profoundly moving and challenging exploration of Puritan life and thought in a beautifully written book. Here is J. I. Packer at his very best.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:32 -0400)

"The suggestion that we need the Puritans...with all our sophistication and mastery of techniques in both secular and sacred fields--may prompt some lifting of eyebrows....What could these zealots give us that we need, it is asked. the answer, in one word, is maturity. Maturity is a compound of wisdom, goodwill, resilence, and creativity. The Puritans exemplified maturity, we don't....They were great believers, great hopers, great doers, and great sufferers. both sides of the ocean (in old England from the authorities and in New England from the elements), seasoned and ripened them till they gained a stature that was nothing short of heroic. Ease and luxury, such as our affluence brings us today, do not make for maturity.......(back cover).… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,475,385 books! | Top bar: Always visible