One of Us Is Next

by Karen M. McManus, Karen M. McManus

Series: One of Us is Lying (2)

4491940,089 (3.85)1
Welcome back to Bayview High… It's been a year since the events of One Of Us Is Lying. But nothing has settled for the residents of Bayview. Not now someone has started playing a sinister game of Truth or Dare. Choose truth? You must reveal your darkest secret. Choose dare? Well, that could be even more dangerous. Even deadly. When the game takes an even darker turn, suddenly no one at Bayview High knows who to trust. But they need to find out who is behind the game, before it's too late.… (more)
Recently added bydhslmc, pinksith, private library, SimonBarrett, eelieyes, Arina40, luketaylorqb

Come on, Bayview, you know you've missed this.

A ton of copycat gossip apps have popped up since Simon died, but in the year since the Bayview four were cleared of his shocking death, no one's been able to fill the gossip void quite like he could. The problem is no one has the facts.

Until now.

This time it's not an app, though—it's a game.

Truth or Dare.

Phoebe's the first target. If you choose not to play, it's a truth. And hers is dark.

Then comes Maeve and she should know better—always choose the dare.

But by the time Knox is about to be tagged, things have gotten dangerous. The dares have become deadly, and if Maeve learned anything from Bronwyn last year, it's that they can't count on the police for help. Or protection.
  Gmomaj | Sep 25, 2020 |
That ending... ( )
  genieinanovel | Sep 15, 2020 |
DNF @ 80%

So this is the second time I’ve rushed to read the sequel of a book I loved (“A Good Girl’s Guide to Murder” being the first one) and was left disappointed at how less thrilling and exciting and honestly, good, the story was.

I just didn’t care for the characters as much this time and I felt like there were too many parallels to the first book. I also kinda hated Maeve’s POV and also all the baseball references, especially since I didn’t understand any of it and it really didn’t mean anything to the story. I liked that we were getting a snippet into the OG characters’ lives but Connor’s baseball drama & Bronwyn & Nate’s love problems were just not as important to me anymore as it was in the first book.

The same drama was occurring with the pretty but nerdy girl falling for and making out with the sexy seemingly unavailable guy, but it turns out that guys liked them for forever, then getting into unnecessary fights with said guy, and of course, the unlikely friendship between the popular girl and the nerdy girl; keeping secrets from their families, and sweeping aside suspicious activity (that probably pissed me off the most).

By the time I hit the 70% mark, I was barely even reading the story anymore, I was just skimming over the unnecessary bits of info and semi-reading the dialogue. I was still hella confused by what I was reading and I truly feel like this sequel wasn’t needed. The first book was amazing and thrilling and adventurous on its own. ( )
  DayDreamWriteRepeat | Sep 2, 2020 |
In the amazing sequel to the twisted Breakfast Club thriller One of Us Is Lying, there’s a new manipulative gossip-monger at Bayview High School. A group text to all students announces a truth-or-dark game, participation mandatory. Dares seem like harmless teen-movie pranks, while truths reveal horrible secrets in the group text. Obviously, the correct choice is to be pick dare, until a dare kills a student...

One of Us Is Next is told in rotating perspective, just like the first book. I don’t love this, because it usually interferes with my ability to connect with a character. This isn’t too bad here, it works in such a plot-focused book, since each person moves the mystery forward. Also the shifting narration means readers can see Maeve and Knox’s relationship from both sides. However, there are a lot of minor-character siblings and classmates in this story, and it can be hard to keep all the relationships straight.

Without spoiling any reveals, there is one fairly obvious baddie, and one that absolutely stunned me. I loved how the ending was revealed, in full, wild drama, but with the characters behaving consistently with their established personalities. A great follow-up to One of Us Is Lying! ( )
  TheFictionAddiction | Aug 12, 2020 |
Bayview High is still having problems. This time it is the younger students from One of Us is Lying. Simon's website if revive and so is the game Truth or Dare. Trouble and death ensue leading to a stunning conclusion that I did not see until the last two pages. I cannot wait for the last book of this trilogy.

I like these characters (well, the main ones at least.) The parents are a little more prevalent in this book but not intrusive. The kids still need to solve their problems on their own. I liked how the solution was found to the perpetrator but it was dangerous and I was on the edge of my seat. I also enjoyed watching new friendships form and hope a few go beyond just friends. Like I said I cannot wait to read book 3. ( )
  Sheila1957 | Aug 11, 2020 |

Karen M. McManusprimary authorall editionscalculated
McManus, Karen M.main authorall editionsconfirmed
Berman, FredNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Liatis, MariaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Linneman, HollyNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Vacker, KarissaNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

Reporter (standing at the edge of a winding street with a large white stucco building behind her): Good morning.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 151,702,393 books! | Top bar: Always visible