Animal Dreams by Barbara Kingsolver

Animal Dreams (1990)

by Barbara Kingsolver

Amazing book. Refugees and issues with destruction of countries has not changed in 30 years. She writes good books ( )
  shazjhb | Nov 2, 2018 |
For anyone considering the audiobook version of this, I’d definitely say go for it. Barbara Kingsolver narrates it herself and brings a level of insight and understanding to the main character, Cosima, that I don’t think a professional narrator could do. I’ll admit that some of the family issues were a stretch for me and I’m not sure I would have finished it if I’d read the print version. But the author ’s soothing voice and expressive tone made this a pleasure to listen to. ( )
  wandaly | Oct 19, 2018 |
I've had this book on my shelf now for years, always meaning to read it but never quite getting there.

I am so relieved that I have done so now. This book is hard to describe, and yet it is beautiful and sad and funny on so many different levels, but you can be guaranteed that it will touch in some fashion. ( )
  Eternal.Optimist | Aug 22, 2018 |
I always enjoy Kingsolver's work, and this book was no exception. I love the town of Grace, and had a hard time understanding why Codi would want to leave it! ( )
  glade1 | Mar 19, 2018 |
I think this book would have rated higher for me if I had read it before the poisonwood bible. I enjoyed the characters very much, but also was a little lost with all the side characters that seemed to serve no purpose (Carlos anyone?). I enjoyed the environmental slant it took, and the way it incorporated Native Americans without being cliche or contrived. I found the cock fighting to be a bit much for me, and the memory of drowning puppies also was not necessary. A good solid book, just not my favorite or second favorite kingsolver. ( )
  SadieRuin | Sep 30, 2017 |
Barbara Kingsolver is one of an increasing number of American novelists who are trying to rewrite the political, cultural and spiritual relationships between our country's private and public spheres.

In memory of Ben Linder
His two girls are curled together like animals whose habit is to sleep underground, in the smallest space possible.

"Animals dream about the things they do in the day time just like people do. If you want sweet dreams, you've got to live a sweet life." So says Loyd Peregrina, a handsome Apache trainman and latter-day philosopher. But when Codi Noline returns to her hometown, Loyd's advice is painfully out of her reach. Dreamless and at the end of her rope, Codi comes back to Grace, Arizona to confront her past and face her ailing, distant father. What the finds is a town threatened by a silent environmental catastrophe, some startling clues to her own identity, and a man whose view of the world could change the course of her life. Blending flashbacks, dreams, and Native American legends, Animal Dreams is a suspenseful love story and a moving exploration of life's largest commitments. With this work, the acclaimed author of The Bean Trees and Homeland and Other Stories sustains her familiar voice while giving readers her most remarkable book yet.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:15:57 -0400)

In this skillfully told novel by the author of The Bean Trees, a young woman returns to her hometown to care for her father and, without knowing it, herself. As usual, Codi is seeking to avoid life, but instead she finds plenty of it. She begins a complicated romance with a former boyfriend, corresponds with her sister, Hallie, who is kidnapped and then murdered in Nicaragua, tries to convince her father that his declining mental abilities are interfering with his work as a physician, and attempts to save the town from the evil Black Mountain Mining Company, which is poisoning the river and threatening the region's future. In alternating chapters, Kingsolver gives us Codi and her father, Homer, adroitly melding two viewpoints of one history. The book's southwestern setting proves particularly evocative: lush hot springs, dramatic vistas, and ancient pueblos are ideal envelopes for characters in deep introspection or loving embrace. The mixed Anglo and native American culture is equally colorful and unusually well developed. It's hard to find fault with this book--it manages to push all our emotional buttons without sacrificing fine craftsmanship.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,161,428 books! | Top bar: Always visible