The Bookworm Crush

by Lisa Brown Roberts

This spinoff of The Replacement Crush featuring Amy and Toff is sure to melt your heart.

This is a super cute fake dating romance between a popular surfer/golden boy and a bookish introverted girl. A fluffy read (see CWs below) but I wish it had been shorter. There wasn’t enough conflict to drive the plot for 400 pages.

Content Warnings: Past: parental death from cancer, surfing injury ( )
  Cerestheories | Nov 8, 2021 |
Amy McIntyre is serious about the three social media challenges she must complete in order to win a contest in which she could get to meet her favorite author of all time. She is so serious that she asks he long time crush, surf champion Toff Nichols to be her coach and teach her how to become a winner. With each challenge she completes, Amy feels more and more brave, and she credits Toff with helping her find her inner swagger. But as she and Toff spend more and more time together, Amy begins to wonder if Toff is feeling more for her than she thought he ever would. Now she just has to figure out how to make him see it.

The Bookworm Crush is an excellent sequel to The Replacement Crush. We see through Toff's antics and bravado to his inner insecurities about his father's impending marriage to Rose, his future as a surfer, and his growing feelings for Amy. At the same time, Amy's developing confidence and independence get stronger and more pronounced as she begins to see herself as Toff does. My only reservation about this book is that the physical relationship between Toff and Amy seems to happen a little too quickly for two high school students who are still not sure of how they feel about each other, but overall, The Bookworm Crush is a sweet YA romance with strong themes of female empowerment and facing one's fears. ( )
  ftbooklover | Oct 12, 2021 |
audio (10.5 hours) fiction/rom-com (bookstore geek teams up with surfing hunk to win an author visit contest)

I got a few hours into this--it's ok. Lots and lots of book/pop-culture references, if that's your thing.

Would recommend instead: Nicola Yoon's Instructions for Dancing. The female lead is also a great reader of romance novels, but the interaction between the main couple is a lot cuter. ( )
  reader1009 | Aug 24, 2021 |
I picked up the audiobook through the Scribd app. Once again started this book during the house's weekly cleaning and continued while doing a couple of errands outside the house.
The Bookworm Crush is a rom-com story of an introverted bookworm and an extroverted surfer and how their relationship flourishes. I loved both the main and secondary characters. The reference to popular books throughout the narrative was very impressive.
The Bookworm Crush is a sweet YA rom-com story. I enjoyed it and looking forward to picking up other books by Lisa Brown Roberts. ( )
  AvigailRGRIL | Nov 19, 2020 |
The Bookworm Crush is such an adorable, light read and I was practically all smiles the entire time that I was reading it. It’s the spin-off of The Replacement Crush that focuses on Amy and Toff, but this book can be read as a stand-alone. You don’t need to read The Replacement Crush first. I personally planned to, but it didn’t work out that way. Though that book just jumped to the top of my TBR!

Amy is a shy bookworm who is presented with a chance to win a once-in-a-lifetime chance to interview her favorite romance author (who hasn’t done any public event in twenty years). However, the only way she can really win this thing is to step into the spotlight and that takes a certain level of swagger that Amy just doesn’t have. So she enlists the help of Toff, the local surf stud, to help her come out of her shell so she can win this contest.

I knew I liked Amy and Toff right from the start of the book, as well as their friends and family. The banter and nicknames they all have for each other had me either gushing or laughing – especially Amy’s family. The teens are, of course, dealing with their own side drama as the story goes on that adds to why they act the way they do, and some of it leads to Toff being so dang sweet to his dad and future step-mom that it brought tears to my eyes.

One thing that some readers might find annoying is the amount of references to other books and pop culture in this book. I didn’t mind it too much, but it did seem a little excessive at times. I was pleased that I knew all the references, but if someone who doesn’t know them were to read this, they might get annoyed. Otherwise this book is great. It reads so easily, the story plays out swimmingly, and honestly this book is too adorable to not pick up and love!

If you’re looking for a cute, romance to take you out of the craziness we’re dealing with in the real world, then you need to pick up this book as soon as possible! ( )
  genieinanovel | Sep 15, 2020 |

Lisa Brown Roberts is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 177,080,330 books! | Top bar: Always visible