An Alaskan Christmas (A Wild River Novel) by…

An Alaskan Christmas (A Wild River Novel)

by Jennifer Snow

1041,345,904 (4)1

No tags.

Erika has been ORDERED to take a vacation. A vacation is what she DOES NOT want. So, she is determined to make the best of a bad situation. She contacts an old friend, Cassie, and heads off for an adventure in Wild River, Alaska. And an adventure is just what she finds, along with something she was not looking for…love.

Reed is Cassie’s brother. He runs a search-and-rescue team. He and Erika knock heads a few times, but it just leads them to discover what they love about each other. I enjoyed Reed. He is tough, smart and HOT! What’s not to love. He and Erika make a great pair!

Give me a book set in Alaska and I am hooked. This is a sweet holiday romance with an edge. Check it out today!

I received this novel from the publisher for a honest review. ( )
  fredreeca | Dec 19, 2019 |
An Alaskan Christmas is the first book in Jennifer Snow’s new series, Wild River, which takes place in Wild River, Alaska. When Dr Erika Sheraton, gets sentenced to a mandatory two-week vacation, she decides to head back to her hometown and her childhood best friend, Cassie Reynolds. When Erika arrives in Wild River, she and Cassie quickly realise how much they’ve changed over time, but after reuniting with Cassie’s brother, Reed Reynolds, the two best friends finally start to get their groove back.
Speaking of Big Brother… Sparks are flying every which way between Reed and Erika. The pair have an immediate connection despite their rocky start. They butt heads as much as they flirt, which, for me, is so entertaining. I like my romance pairings to have various sparkings, okay? A little strife to add some spice to life. Growing up, Reed had a complex about proving himself to his little sister’s stuck-up best friend, they didn’t really interact aside from this one time one time they got lost overnight on a camping trip.
One of the things I truly enjoyed about An Alaskan Christmas was the research Jennifer Snow put into this book. Not just in the medical mumbo jumbo that I know absolutely nothing about but also in the search and rescue field which I’m happy to say I’m a fan of. So, when I say Ms Snow did research, I mean it! The one thing I didn’t really like was Erika was dogsitting and had the chance to put the dog’s shoes on but her response was “you’re a dog”. Ahem. Soap box time.
If you feel the need to protect yourself from the cold, including your feet, put the shoes on the dog because dogs can get frostbite too! I live in Florida, the complete opposite of Alaska, but my dogs wear boots so they don't burn their feet. If you feel the need to wear shoes to protect your feet from something, put boots on your dog. It bothers me so much that we have this educated character presented with the option of taking the precaution of protecting a dog from needing medical treatment and instead, she opts for "why would a dog need boots? so ridiculous." Why not educate your audience through your story and help put shoes on other dogs out there whose owners have that mentality through subliminal messaging? Instead, Jennifer Snow put dog boots in the story and made them seem ridiculous.
Moving on, An Alaskan Christmas is about love, connection, and discovery. I wasn’t sure how I’d feel about this book (like I’m ever sure about anything), but as I read Erika and Reed’s story, I found myself enjoying it. Did I hope Erika would fall down the stairs for not putting the boots on the dog? Maybe. But other than that, I found this book a great read. I got my emotions all twisted about and tugged every which way just right and I really enjoyed the storyline.
This book contains alcohol consumption, bar scenes, a father with an alcohol problem, life-threatening situations in the wild, and medical procedures performed in less-than optimum surroundings, and loss of parents.
Overall, I'm giving An Alaskan Christmas 4 stars and 5 flames. This book was well researched, entertaining, and absorbing. I look forward to reading the second book (hopefully Cassie's!). I received a copy of An Alaskan Christmas from Harlequin as a part of their 2019 Holiday Blog Tour and as super excited as being a part of Harlequin's blogging community, this does not influence my rating or review. I'm an overly opinionated heifer and, after thirty years on this planet, I'm stuck in the zone. But the FTC demands I make you aware of my connection to Harlequin so I'm connected to Harlequin as a voluntary blogger and reviewer.

This has been a review from Once Upon a Time, I Read a Book (dot-com), and if you enjoyed this review, come visit my site where you can find me in all of my weirdness. ( )
  OUATIReadABook | Dec 17, 2019 |
This first book in this series rom author, Jennifer Snow is off to a great start. I loved this book. Reed and Erika were great. Although, so was reed's sister, Cassie and a hidden star in Diva, the narcoleptic dog. I mean, what more could you ask for...a narcoleptic dog! Yes, please.

Erika started out with her hair up, expensive clothing, and a stuck up attitude but by the end of the story she had let her hair down, not afraid to get her hands dirty and found love in her heart. She and Reed were great together. Their first scene together was both hot and funny. Hot due to the make out session between these two and funny because after Erika took lead, she told Reed that he was "just ok". Luckily, things got better for Reed as he did win Erika's heart.

Maybe it was the cold Alaskan nights or the engaging characters but An Alaskan Christmas is a book that you will want to make sure is in your Christmas stocking this year! This book is sure to be on Santa's "good" list. ( )
  Cherylk | Dec 14, 2019 |

Erika is a workaholic surgeon and when her father, who is also her boss, forces a two week vacation on her before an important clinical trial she is set to lead, she's not happy. Deciding to try and reconnect with her childhood bestfriend Cassie, she heads up to her hometown of Wild River.
Reed was always intrigued by his younger sister's friend Erika but she's even more stuck-up than she used to be, until he has to help her and his sister get home after a couple of drinks. Having her help on his Search and Rescue crew has brought them together but circumstances and secrets could keep them apart.

Their tattoos had been more than just words at one time and their shared history had to mean something.

First in the Wild River series set in Alaska, I thought the author did a great job transporting the reader there. There are a couple search and rescue missions that Erika and Reed go on that help set the scene and environment, also giving a good winter wonderland feel that fits the holiday title. While I thought the environment setting was well written, I struggled with Erika and Reed's relationships with secondary characters. It's at first set-up for Erika to reconnect with her childhood bestfriend Cassie, but Cassie is not around Erika for most of the book and I missed their friendship, even while this gave more time to Reed and Erika. I also thought more interaction between Reed and his friends was needed to create more of the small town vibe and give the story more life. I just generally missed secondary characters helping to round out and fill the story.

Crazy as it sounded, nothing else seemed to exist when he was holding her. Both an amazing feeling and a terrifying one.

Our leads Erika and Reed do spend a lot of time together, this definitely helped their chemistry but the middle of the book and the majority of their time is sex scenes. I thought the sex scenes did good on emotionally connecting the characters at times but, I personally, was looking for more of them outside the bedroom; I found myself skimming some of the bedroom scenes at times.

Reed and Erika did have chemistry and I liked how low angst most of the story was, the author did a good job of creating real world problems, Erika being a workaholic due to how her father treated her after her mother died and Reed sticking around his hometown to help his sister and mother out and search for his missing father, and how this created two different worlds that put their happily ever after in jeopardy.

And it surprised him that two people who were so incompatible on the surface could be so perfect together at the core.

There was a hint of secondary romance between Reed's sister Cassie and his friend Tank that will draw you into (along with Cassie's narcoleptic dog) wanting to read the second of the series. The main characters' relationships with secondary characters wasn't filled out enough for me and the sex scenes were a bit too abundant but Erika and Reed's chemistry and emotion was there. ( )
  WhiskeyintheJar | Dec 3, 2019 |

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 141,623,542 books! | Top bar: Always visible