The Stories of Vladimir Nabokov by Vladimir…

The Stories of Vladimir Nabokov

by Vladimir Nabokov

Recently added byAdammmmm, somasis, private library, marxistmeninist, ejmw, agmlll, cns1000, rick4418, WestBranch
    Last Evenings On Earth by Roberto Bolaño (lobotomy42)
    lobotomy42: Although their writing style is quite different, I do feel that some of the moods and impressions captured by both Bolaño and Nabokov in their short stories are strikingly similar. Incidentally, both love to write about writers, and both hate fascists.

3.5 stars. ( )
  UDT | May 1, 2018 |
"When you laugh, I want to transform the entire world so it will mirror you." Nabokov is a master craftsman...[in progress] ( )
  dbsovereign | Jan 26, 2016 |
I don't know what happened, though the decrepitude of my iPod might explain it (in the past four years it twice has resurrected itself from the Sad Mac Face). I was listening to a story about White Russian emigrÀ_•À_s in Berlin keeping a GPU agent captive and then all of a sudden I was listening to a love story with Bach and some rain with no jump in elapsed time. I'll pause this for a bit and come back to it later.
  ljhliesl | Jun 1, 2013 |
I love love love love love love these stories. Gems, each and every one. Praise be to Nabokov ( )
  HadriantheBlind | Mar 29, 2013 |
I've read most of the Russian writers, but simply couldn't get into Nabokov. I can tell there is some depth I'm not grasping, but reading shouldn't be as much work as required in every one of his stories. In other cases, I felt like the potential impact fell flat, such as in A Matter of Chance, where the ending came on so quickly that it was anti-climatic compared to the build up up to it. I turned from his earlier stories, to one of his later and most renowned works, The Vane Sisters. That one seemed more developed but still didn't resonate with me. I guess I'm not motivated by stories that have more nuance than dynamic plot or character development. ( )
1 vote jpsnow | Jul 17, 2010 |
To Véra

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0679729976, Paperback)

These stories, written between the early 1920s to the mid-1950s, reveal the fascinating progress of Nabokov's early development as they remind us that we are in the presence of a magnificent original, a genuine master. Edited by his son and translator, Dmitri Nabokov, this volume is a literary event.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:00 -0400)

Here, for the first time, the stories of one of the century's greatest prose stylists are collected in a single, comprehensive volume. Written from the early 1920s - the years of his exile from Russia - to the mid-1950s, when he abandoned the story form and turned to his English-language masterpieces Lolita, Pale Fire, and Ada, these stories reveal the fascinating progress of Nabokov's early development as they remind us that we are in the presence of a magnificent original, a genuine master. Edited by his son and translator, Dmitri Nabokov, The Stories of Vladimir Nabokov is a literary event and a celebration of his art.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,089,644 books! | Top bar: Always visible